Can lovebirds breed and multiply so easily?

Cardinal

Jul 1, 2014
India
Parrots
Currently I have none, but I have the capacity to adopt a minimum and maximum of two budgies - preferably a bonded pair or two males.
Hey all Parrot lovers

I saw this video on youtube

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GajDEOZq-hE"]Confessions: Animal Hoarding- Too Many Birds - YouTube[/ame]

This lady Nancy apparently got a pair of lovebirds and within a span of some (unspecified) time, she has 250 of them now.
I find this incredible. Are lovebirds and specifically masked lovebirds so prolific?

I think it is possible with budgies, perhaps over a period of 5 to 7 years but thought lovebirds are a bit more fussy.

Avin

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
Lovebirds colony breed very rapidly, I’ve seen plenty of people “accidentally” go from one pair to dozens in just a few years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Cardinal

Cardinal

Jul 1, 2014
India
Parrots
Currently I have none, but I have the capacity to adopt a minimum and maximum of two budgies - preferably a bonded pair or two males.
Hi Silver Sage

By Colony breeding, you mean a spacious aviary or room with plenty of nest boxes or potential nesting places. I assume they are not as prolific when confined to breeding cages with individual pairs.

But 1 pair to 250 would have involved a lot of sibling mating here and the predominance of just 2 colours - a dark mauve blue and light sky blue in this flocks perhaps confirms the same.

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
This is a very sad story. I guess that many birds don’t really need a lot of human interaction, since they have each other, but what is it that compels humans to hoard anything? And what a sweet husband she has! “I just want to live happily ever after with Nancy.”

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
Yes it would have been a terrible mess of inbreeding, and clearly they HAVE added outside blood because I saw two greens, but consider that each pair can easily produce 20+ babies of left to their own devices, that number isn’t unreasonable at all.

OP
Cardinal

Cardinal

Jul 1, 2014
India
Parrots
Yes it would have been a terrible mess of inbreeding, and clearly they HAVE added outside blood because I saw two greens, but consider that each pair can easily produce 20+ babies of left to their own devices, that number isn’t unreasonable at all.

Can't blue birds produce the odd green offspring; have seen it happening in Budgies. I also noticed the green birds; they look like they have a considerable amount of Fishcer's blood, as do, unfortunately many of the Green- wild type masked lovebirds.

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots

Can't blue birds produce the odd green offspring; have seen it happening in Budgies. I also noticed the green birds; they look like they have a considerable amount of Fishcer's blood, as do, unfortunately many of the Green- wild type masked lovebirds.

Green birds can produce blue, but blue cannot produce green unless the other parent is green.

Green is dominant. If a bird has one blue gene, he is green. If he has two blue genes, he is blue and doesn’t carry green genes.

Most Reactions

Latest posts