MangieSun

MangieSun

Jan 22, 2014
California
Parrots
Mangie- Sun Conure
Pixel- cockatiel
Jasper- bare eyed cockatoo
Lol. Me too!!! I may start diving deep after my photography session this afternoon.

OP
MangieSun

MangieSun

Jan 22, 2014
California
Parrots
Mangie- Sun Conure
Pixel- cockatiel
Owner got back to me. She said she just found out they are Quakers. Sound right? Quakers are illegal here in Ca but I've always loved what I've read on them. Could be why she was reluctant to tell me where she got them. I'm still intrigued. Lol

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Definitely aren't quakers. They are much lighter green with light gray on their bellies, and orangish beaks. However, I did some more research on different kinds of parakeets, and this looks SO close- Mauritius Parakeet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia However, I can't find any information on them being available as domestic pets. In fact, they seem to be a critically endangered species, so I would seriously doubt it. However, sometimes very rare and very endangered parrots occasionally make it into homes where they oughtn't be, so it's (remotely) possible. I'm still looking into it, because it really intrigues me that no one on here can identify these birds.

OP
MangieSun

MangieSun

Jan 22, 2014
California
Parrots
Mangie- Sun Conure
Pixel- cockatiel
Ya. Just did. Darn. Thought my mind would be put at ease knowing what the heck they are. Huh. I just can't find anything that fits all the physical characteristics that I am able to spot. They do resemble the ringnecks I guess (minus the tail) but even the body shape seems more squatty to me. The short tail (provided that's their actual tail length) does say amazon but the dark contrast on the wings and the black roundish smooth beak and the fact that they both look similar to each other throws me off. I may just have to drive an hour this week to go seem them with my own eyes and get some better images to share. Lol

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
*facepalm*

Ditto on the african ringnecks! And yes, it's normal for them to have dark beaks!

There is only one other possibility for what these birds could be, and that would be an Echo ringneck. I don't know that the Echos ever made it into North American aviculture or not, and if they did, whether or not the species remained pure or were hybridized with african and indian ringnecks.

Mauritius Parakeet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mauritian (echo) parakeet(Psittacula echo) | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Flickr Search: psittaculaecho
Flickr Search: echo
Him and his bloody camera again! | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

BACON

May 18, 2013
Google baby African ring necks. You'll see a picture there that looks just the same. If it's a baby it'll also explain a lack of tail.
Hope that helps :)

Most Reactions