Can they learn from another bird?

gig

Mar 13, 2012
southeastern PA
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot, Bowie; Goffin's Cockatoo, Zazu;
5 beautiful finches
Is it possible for my shy red belly to learn socialization skills from my new adopted Goffins cockatoo who is very friendly/cuddly? I'm wondering if handling and playing with the 'too in front of him can make him see that human interaction is a good thing - or will it make him jealous and mad at us? Bowie is a funny young bird. He seems to want us to be there - but at a distance. He calls for us in the morning and seems excited to see us when we walk in the room, but at about 2 feet away he quiets down and moves away from us to the back of the cage! I was hoping that watching us with new friendly Zazu will show him that we're o.k. What do you think? :rainbow1::grey:

IcyWolf

Jul 5, 2011
Etters, Pa
Parrots
~Alexandrine Parakeet~2 Red Lored Amazons~Blue Fronted Amazon~Black capped conure~4 Green Cheeks~4 Parrotlets~2 lineolated parakeets~9 American budgies~9 English budgies~ And lots of babies :)
Almost a year ago, our alexandrine, ziggy, would only talk if the tv was turned up fairly loud, with her back turned towards us and in a very mumbled, quiet voice. If you looked at her or tried to turn the tv/music down, she would stop completely. Since we've had our amazons and our conure, who talk quite a bit, she has started talking louder, more often and will even allow me to talk along with her! She has also started saying their phrases. When we got her, she kind of mumbled step up and laughed. Now she says Hi, Hello, Step up, Come here, whatcha doin and laughs. I feel like I should also mention, she just started all of this only two weeks ago! She did her mumbly quiet thing and I could tell she was trying new words but couldn't make them out. Then one day about 2 weeks ago, she just started talking really loud and rambling off all of these new words! I'm super impressed! So, long story short, yes, they can learn things from other birds and sometimes it is helpful to let them see you interacting with another bird. If she is the jealous type it may cause some conflict but you're going to have to read her body language on that one. when a too is angry, you usually know it! :52:

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Oh absolutely they will learn from another bird!!!!! I see my birds do that all the time. Especially things that get them into trouble....lol.....When I got the ekkie pair. The male was not tame at all. The female was so I picked up Gracie and JoJo kept looking and find me interesting. So I had them out together with me every single day so now he begs to come out to play. He's one of my sweetest boys..... :)

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
Yes, I would use your 'Too to help your Red Belly see that people are safe. It's technically called "vicarious learning"; learning from each other. I used both Rowdy and my cat to help Pete see that I was safe, and he was definitely watching.

Pete and Merlin are learning words from each other, and even speaking in each other's voices now. Sometimes I don't know now who said something if I'm not looking at them at the time. And Rowdy is mirroring Pete in hanging upside down and fluttering her wings, and just started playing with foot toys all of a sudden after not doing it for 12 years.

OP
gig

gig

Mar 13, 2012
southeastern PA
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot, Bowie; Goffin's Cockatoo, Zazu;
5 beautiful finches
Great!:D We got what should be the permanent set up in place today - whew, long day! Zazu is in his new, big cage in the living room and Bowie is across the room, but definitely looking and watching Zazu all day. He seemed very excited about having another bird around (bigger than a finch, that is!). I think they'll get along eventually, but I'm going to take my time letting them settle in. We also moved Bowie to a slightly higher traffic area. I'm hoping this desensitizes him to human presence and movement.:rainbow1::grey:
Zazu was a little apprehensive about his new cage. I thought he'd go right in and love it! It's way bigger than the one the rescue gave me for him and I got all these great toys for him. It's a birdie dream come true - but he seemed very nervous and kept climbing onto the door asking to come out! I found a few feathers - I hope this doesn't start a plucking rampage!:eek: I've heard Cockatoos are prone to that.:11:

Most Reactions