canned food...

EnglishMuffin

Mar 1, 2014
Vancouver, Canada
Parrots
Sootie- Yellow-sided GCC
is it safe to feed canned food to a birdy? I bought Sooty some lentils but now I'm reticent about feeding them to her because I'm worried about the heavy metals in the can?

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
I don't recommend feeding canned foods. They are often high in sodium or sugars, not to mention the possibility of preservatives.

You could always rinse them off, but I prefer to stick away from canned goods and use as much fresh as possible. Grains and legumes would be dry - and depending on the ones you used, you could cook or sprout them!

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
I usually make up a mash diet that includes grains and legumes. I make so much that I *have* to freeze most of it! When I go to feed, I either allow it to defrost overnight and feed in the morning or I'll defrost it in the microwave. I do not feed it warm. Actually, if it's defrosted in the microwave, it may still be slightly frozen when I go to feed it!

OP
EnglishMuffin

EnglishMuffin

Mar 1, 2014
Vancouver, Canada
Parrots
Sootie- Yellow-sided GCC
Also: since you're here and you'll probably know, do you know if it's safe to feed birds honey? I know you can't give it to babies and toddlers because of the enzymes. I've got bronchitis right now and drinking lots of chamomile tea with honey and lemon and Sootie goes nuts for it trying to wrestle the mug out of my hands to get her beak in (I like it only lukewarm). I keep pushing her off because I didn't know if it was safe!

Sorry for the double post but I figured it would save me starting another thread :p

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Honey is safe! It has been used in those bird treats of seed stuck together. It's also apparently used in some seed mixes such as Goldenfeast and Volkmans. The products listed below are an example of some that contain honey.

Sun Seed Vita Prima Swing Ring Grass & Spinach - *NEW* ITEMS by MY SAFE BIRD STORE
Baked Birdie Munchies Tropi-Fruit Medley 4 oz - CAITEC OVEN FRESH BITES by MY SAFE BIRD STORE
Lafeber's Nutriberries Garden Veggies Parrot 10 oz - LAFEBER'S by MY SAFE BIRD STORE

Saying that, it should be a rare treat or used infrequently. I've used it to try and give medications to birds but otherwise I do not feed it myself.

Guess you should get Sootie her own cup! ;)

Mini Smiley Mugs 3 Pack - DOLLAR DAYS by MY SAFE BIRD STORE

Most Reactions

Latest posts