Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Yesterday when I was getting ready to open Salty's cage for the day, an event that he gets very exited about and climbs all over in anticipation, i caught his left front foot, left toe in the little space between the door frame and the pivot point of the door. He squawked loudly and it was just for a second as I knew what had happened. But he def got hurt by it, he favored his other foot all day and night, and even refused some tricks last night that require foot dexterity. Hopefully it was just a bruised toe, I'll see later today.

This thread is just a caution for folks to be careful with the cage doors! Parrots and mechanical stuff, even as simple as this, don't always mix well.

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
Such a good reminder. I’ve come close to doing this several times as my Quaker is sometimes climbing on the door with eagerness as I open it. Hope your Salty is A-ok.

Greenhouseparrots

Nov 27, 2022
UK
Parrots
Crimson bellied conure- Tequila
Greencheek conure- Sierra
Pearled cockatiel- Malibu
Cockatiel- Volkan
Yellow budgies- Pina Colada and Houdini
Blue budgie- Lightning
White and blue budgie- Ciroc
This is a good warning! I've accidently trapped some of my birds feet in cage doors, and I've accidently dropped the feeder divider on one as well. This usually happens if I'm in a rush or just not paying attention so I try not to rush too much

Most Reactions