Carrots and zucchini? Nope. Shredded with rice? Delicious!

Sterling1113

Feb 15, 2014
Dallas area, Texas
So today for breakfast I made Yoshi some brown rice, and considering since he moved to my dad's he hasn't been eating carrots anymore, and doesn't show any interest in even trying zucchini, I figured I'd grate it up with a cheese grater and mix it in with the rice.(I'm trying to spread his diet so he's eating more than just grapes. :p )
Sooo it turns out he likes it! I was excited. I held the bowl up to him to let him try it, and then put it in the holder in his cage and he skeedadled on down to eat some more.. :D:D
He also shared some of Brad's oatmeal, but only a small bite since I don't want him to have sugar :rolleyes: (Made with water, not milk.)
I didn't get many pictures of him eating since I didn't want to open the door and disturb him but I got a couple from outside the cage. :)

Also I heard him make his usual soft sounds this morning! He was just chatting back and forth with me and Brad. Makes me happy to hear him chattering again. Also before we left we swapped the position of his pellet bowl and his water bowl, which lead to him drinking water(I guess he lost it in all the new perches.) and exploring the other perches he has yet to sit on. He seemed to like sitting on the big tree branch perch that's in there. :)

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Yoshi's so pretty. Sometimes serving the same food a different way does the trick.

aether-drifter

Jan 12, 2013
Portland, OR
They can definitely be picky on how their food is served! That's awesome that you got him to try it, though. :D Vitamin A is super important for birds and carrots are really high in it. So are bell peppers...have you tried those? I give Sakura the mini ones (on skewers) along with jalapenos and she loves tearing them apart and eating the seeds.

Just a small suggestion, by the way -- you may want to lower the perch to the level of the bowl so it's easier for him to eat comfortably. Not trying to nitpick, I've just discovered that's how my guys prefer things. :)

labell

Feb 17, 2014
East
They can definitely be picky on how their food is served! That's awesome that you got him to try it, though. :D Vitamin A is super important for birds and carrots are really high in it. So are bell peppers...have you tried those? I give Sakura the mini ones (on skewers) along with jalapenos and she loves tearing them apart and eating the seeds.

Just a small suggestion, by the way -- you may want to lower the perch to the level of the bowl so it's easier for him to eat comfortably. Not trying to nitpick, I've just discovered that's how my guys prefer things. :)

I didn't really look at perch placement until you pointed it out but I do agree, lower would make it easier for him to get in it, plus cut down on him adding any poop to his food. :p

OP
Sterling1113

Sterling1113

Feb 15, 2014
Dallas area, Texas
Thanks guys! I figured he'd eat it mixed in with something, since I've read about people's Eclectus parrots not eating certain foods a certain way. And I'll lower the perch today- I didn't really think about it either haha..
I haven't tried bell peppers, but I'll definitely give it a shot. He doesn't like green beans so I dunno. I'll have to dice them or something maybe.
I've been finding green feathers on the bottom of his cage lately.. :( It's not very many. I picked up maybe 5 the other day, and since then it's just been a couple every day.. so I'm hoping they're just falling out(No blood, and they're not broken.) and he's not plucking. He doesn't seem stressed enough to pluck, he's been pretty content since settling in at my dad's house. Maybe he's just slowly starting his molt? I'll have to keep an eye out for any pin feathers coming in for sure.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
So happy that you found something he likes! That is sometimes the biggest hurdle:)
Ekko loves the top of the bell pepper with the stem attached. He doesn't eat the stem, but holds onto it and eats inside like an ice cream cone. I bet Yoshi will be eating lots of new things now that you have found something he enjoys:)

Most Reactions