cat bite! emergency.

Janedeaux

Mar 10, 2012
Mississippi
Parrots
Sunday/gold capped hybrid conures: mystic and gypsy
Sun: Paisley
Okay, long story short, I say paisley down on the coffee table when child came in crying. A low coffee table. The neighbor came over to check on my son because it was her daughter and him that "crashed"into each other. We are standing in the hallway looking at the kids faces, front door open. Suddenly I hear paisley screaming and squawking. The cat was coming down the hallway with paisley in her mouth! I screamed and yelled and the cat dropped paisley. I grabbed her and checked her everywhere. A do see a tiny spot of blood on the top of
one of her wings but everything else seems to be non injured. I'm so worried though! What's the rate for bird but survival? I gave her some tetracycline in a little water. Will she make it through the night to take her to vet? I looked up pasturella and it does seem very scary.
I started her on doxycycline. She's sleeping right now.
*adding, this was not my cat! I don't have a cat. The cat snuck in front door while we were checking kids faces!

Last edited:

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
OMG that is so scary. I would schedule an appointment with the vet. From what I read online, cat's saliva may or may not carry the harmful bacteria that is deadly to birds. I would still see a vet though, I honestly do not have first hand experience of this.

I am also concerned of Paisley's emotional / mental state. She will need a lot of assurance and calming in order for this incident to not have a severe impact on her well being later.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
OMG you must have been petrified
To us the injury might seem small but please remember our birds are delicate little creatures it might be something more serious.
You must take take your bird to the vet.
Cat's saliva is harmful to a bird, as it carries a bacteria that is deadly to birds.

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
Are you a vet tech & were these administered IM? Not sure of antibios administered to avians by mouth for cat bites.....

I agree with the others about a vet visit ASAP.....

I think she'll make it to a vet visit if you only find a small injury visible, but that doesn't let out possible internal injury.....

Last edited:

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
You must be terrified :( I think this is really a lottery if she has problems or not. A vet check tomorrow is a must.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
OMG that is so scary. I would schedule an appointment with the vet. From what I read online, cat's saliva may or may not carry the harmful bacteria that is deadly to birds. I would still see a vet though, I honestly do not have first hand experience of this.

I am also concerned of Paisley's emotional / mental state. She will need a lot of assurance and calming in order for this incident to not have a severe impact on her well being later.

Ditto this!!!!

I hope Paisley makes it through the night and can be seen by an a-vet in the morning!!!!

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
I hope the best for you and make a vet visit asap first thing in the morning or go to an emergency vet right now. Let us know how it goes!!!

AngelicaandBandit

Apr 25, 2013
I'd seriously recommend take her to an emergency vet right now!! Cat saliva is absolutely DEADLY to birds and will kill a bird easily!! I'm so sorry to hear this!! Keep us posted!

OP
Janedeaux

Janedeaux

Mar 10, 2012
Mississippi
Parrots
She's still ok! One thing I forgot to mention, I don't have a cat! This cat snuck in while we were in the hallway with front door open. I'm not a vet tech. I just have doxycycline to put in her water and my others when I brought her home to make sure health was utmost.
I was worried about her emotional, mental as well. I've barely put her down. I rinsed her off asap and then snuggled her in a towel and I've been loving on her since. Kisses and everything. She is acting traumatized but still little nibbles and sqeeks here and there. And I will make her the best grits ever this morning! :) then we'll be off to vet. Thank you all for answering. I was so so scared. It was horrible and then reading about the pasturella! :eek:

Last edited:

94lt1

Nov 9, 2012
SouthEast TX
Parrots
Monte..Scarlet macaw, Seminole...yellow napped amazon, Starburst... sun conure...Rain, cinnamon green cheek.
I hope it's not too late.. We had a cat swipe at a dyh amazon inside it's cage. Years ago when we new nothing about birds.. And avian vets were very scarce..

The vet said wait until the morning.. But the bacteria from the cats claws had settled in.. He was tail bobbing and was trying to act ok... But in the end, was put down...

I hope your experience is different.. :mad::mad: people and their dang cats... Its pretty bad when they'll go into a person's house with no fear..

I actively trap stray cats and have em hauled off.... We have a huge problem with stray or wild cats here... Its a shame too.. Cause some of em are really beautiful animals... But my birds come first... You enter my yard... All bets are off...

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
Gilbert Oliver, Blue Crown Conure; Georgie, Sun Conure (2/8/01-8/8/12) RIP little girl; Percy, budgie 1993-1999. RIP Pepito-spanish timbrado canary
That is terrifying. Let us know what the vet says if/when you go. I would be in an absolute panic and i agree with everyone else that the bird should be seen by an avian vet asap.
I once had a large dog push into my condo and come after my little chihuahua. It was scary!!! You simply aren't ready for all this in your own home and really have no way to 'be prepared' for that. I got bit another time when a neighbor let their large dog loose and he came after my small dogs (i got in between and ended up with a few minor bites).
I really hope everything works out for the best for you and your bird. Again, so sorry.

OP
Janedeaux

Janedeaux

Mar 10, 2012
Mississippi
Parrots
Okay, So I did take her to a vet, and the vet said that the ornacycline was okay and would work. She didn't feel comfortable giving her meds she said since she appeared fine and I had already started her on the ornacycline in her water. I pointed out her two marks and scrapes and asked about those. Yesterday all day Paisely appeared better and better, but now she is bobbing her head and "baby chirping" a lot. She did eat some and drank some but and she is active but bobbing her head a little and extra snuggly. Is this something to worry about or maybe just the thunderstorm? Do any of your birds act funny during a severe thunderstorm? What exactly would tail bobbing be, I don't think she is doing that but it's possible. Her poo is fine looking although she is going a little extra, and she is acting otherwise normal besides extra chirping, wing flapping and head bobbing. Not puffed up. Any advice???

DallyTsuka

Mar 19, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Dallas and Tsukasa (Cockatiels)
Mango and Munchlax (Peach Faced Lovebirds)
i lost my budgie to a cat. we didnt check the room as thorough as we should have when we let our birds out. our youngest cat was up inside the bottom of the couch and i didnt find her when i kicked the cats out of the room. she ran out and clawed our little budgie out of the air. he had to be humanely euthanized as his wounds could not be healed.

so i fear for you and hope your little conure pulls through.

i'd want to find another vet, in my opinion. your bird is acting abnormal so soon after injury, even on antibiotics. was this vet an avian vet?

OP
Janedeaux

Janedeaux

Mar 10, 2012
Mississippi
Parrots
I'm takin her to another now. Not comfortable with her mannerisms. I'll update in a bit.

MollyGreenCheeks

Jan 16, 2012
Media
Albums
Arizona, USA
Parrots
Molly - GCC, Cody - GCC, Gracie - Congo African Grey
I'm takin her to another now. Not comfortable with her mannerisms. I'll update in a bit.

I believe that is a wise decision. I hope everything is ok and your bird will make it through. One question, are these Avian Vets you're seeing?

Good luck and keeping your baby in my thoughts!

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Ornacycline, if I recall right, is an OTC that can be purchased in pet stores... and is by no means an "appropriate" medication (IMO) to give to birds... it's often weaker than what a vet would prescribe and thus less effective.

I hope to hear a good update and that you've found a better vet!

OP
Janedeaux

Janedeaux

Mar 10, 2012
Mississippi
Parrots
I was under the impression that the first vet was an avian vet, but in my haste I believe I was mistaken. I know at one time there was a vet in the office who was very familiar with birds but that was not who saw Paisley. The name of the office was All Animal Clinic, and they state that they see birds.
The second vet is. He's Dr. Ricks in Hattiesburg, ms. He told me that no matter what, even without visible wound or symptom, she should have been on an antibiotic stronger than ornacycline. :( He's given me injections to give her through the weekend. He gave her one at the office and told me if I wasn't comfortable to bring her back in and they could help. But I think I can handle it. I'll do whatever to make sure my doll is better. He was amazed she had made it two days. By the time I got her to the office she was fluffed and shivering. And her weight was on the low side of normal. He felt like she was going to make it though. :)
She's already eating again and climbing. I think she's feeling much better.
Thank you all! I'm a happy mama now.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
So glad to hear you found Dr Ricks!!!!!!! He sounds competent and experienced!!!!! I feel better knowing that she's on the right track now!!! She's got a fighting chance, and it sounds like a great one!

DallyTsuka

Mar 19, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Dallas and Tsukasa (Cockatiels)
Mango and Munchlax (Peach Faced Lovebirds)
:D here's hoping for a smooth recovery! she is a fighter! thank you for helping her. i hope she (and you) will get through this ordeal with minimal or no emotional scars :)

Peeker

Feb 10, 2013
Parrots
Jax-Eclectus
Tina-Eclectus
Ruby-Eclectus
I'm so glad you took her in to another vet. Any vet can "see birds"but your average vet has limited bird specific training which is often what is called for to save a birds life.

Glad to hear she is eating and perking up!

Most Reactions

Latest posts