Chameleon Care: 5 Important Points to Consider Before Purchasing a Chameleon

findi

Jan 28, 2012
Hi All,
Perhaps the most fantastically-bizarre of all lizards, chameleons have long been popular in private and public collections. However, the worldā€™s 195 species, ranging in size from the 1.5 inch-long Pygmy Leaf Chameleons (Rhampholeon spp.) to the 30 inch Oustaletā€™s Chameleon (Furcifer oustaleti), often prove to be difficult captives. Although great strides have been made, chameleon husbandry remains challenging, if intriguing. The following points, drawn from notes taken during my years working at the Bronx Zoo, are useful to consider before embarking on a chameleon-keeping venture.
Chameleons Do Not Like Company ā€“ Human or Otherwise!

Wolverines and Tasmanian Devils are more sociable than the average chameleon! Highly territorial, both males and females will fight among themselves and with the opposite sex. Pairs may get along in large, heavily-planted enclosures, but they must be watched closely.
Chameleons abhor handling, and are best considered as animals to observe only. Donā€™t worry, for when properly kept, chameleons will reward you by exhibiting fascinating behaviorsā€¦but this will not be the case if you disturb them with unnecessary handling!
Read article here Chameleons as Pets - 5 Things You Should Know Before Getting a Chameleon That Reptile Blog
Comments and questions appreciated. As I do not place notices here each time I post a new article on That Reptile Blog, you may wish to check in periodically or subscribe; you can do so here That Reptile Blog. Please also check out my posts on Twitter http://bitly.com/JP27Nj.

Thanks, Frank
My Bio, with photos of animals Iā€™ve been lucky enough to work with That Pet Place welcomes Zoologist/Herpetologist Frank Indiviglio to That Reptile Blog | That Reptile Blog That Reptile Blog
Face Book http://on.fb.me/KckP1m

ConureCrazy

Jun 13, 2012
Media
California
Parrots
Senegal: Oliver ~~
Yellow-Sided GCC's: Bella and Zora ~~
R.I.P Tweeters the Cockatiel<3
I love lizards but would never be qualified enough to own one... But maybe...

:54::54::54:

Most Reactions

Latest posts