Change Sleeping Location

KiwiDaConure97

Nov 19, 2017
Hello, I currently own a YSGCC and I live in Canada. We get cold weather here, and it’s becoming winter and during the night it is very cold. Recently I bought my birdie a fuzzy sleeping hut hoping he will use it as a new sleeping location to stay warm in the winter (my sister owns a GCC and the birds are good friends, hoping they’d cuddle for warmth inside the hut).

My bird’s current sleeping location is on top of his food bowl or at the bottom of his cage cuddled into a corner. Any tips on how to swap his sleeping location from those spots to inside of the hut?

I shouldn’t try to force him into it as that would just be mean, if he wants to change locations he can do it by himself, I just want to know of some ways I could maybe encourage him to go inside of the hut and eventually sleep in there :)

https://www.reddit.com/user/AquaRin..._medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf&utm_term=link

^^ just a picture of him with the hut, I put it by his favourite perch hoping he’d eventually just go in by himself. I have also put treats inside, but he’s taking his time. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Here’s what you do:

Take the hut, and move it to the trash.

As soon as possible.

Those huts present multiple dangers and challenges to parrots, it’s a wonder they’re still on the market. Amongst the big challenges: 1) conures are chewers, and can chew on and invest the fibers,, causing impaction, 2) Birds can literally hang themselves on loose strings From chewing on the hut, 3) enclosed spaces such huts are often hormonal triggers, creating challenges with biting amongst other hormonal behaviors.

Last edited:
OP
KiwiDaConure97

KiwiDaConure97

Nov 19, 2017
Thank you! Throwing it away now. Didn’t even realize they provided that much of a safety hazard to parrots. Probably should have looked it up before buying, but I assumed since it’s on the market it’s alright to purchase for him. I’ll research next time before buying a product.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
The sweeter heater sold on Amazon is a radiant heat psbel safe for burd. The smallest size outs out more than enough heat, hang outside the cage off to one side, with a perch in front. Don't cove top of cage because can over heat.

I've used one for years and I live in Florida

Fuzzy huts, they dont have lips or ways to get that little fuzz out of their mouth so they swallow it, over time builds up in crop and can kill, anything fuzzy or with loose tgreads can be bad. Im against the norm, i do use huts, but i make canvas fabric ones, or th other kinds that are hut ther, or sea grass, or the ferret canvas tunel.i replace often, when chewed. I have not had hormonal problems. But some burds might become hormonal. In that case yiu would have to remove.
You have to do the same with rope perches. And I never buy toys with soft rope that shed threads like crazy.
Research, decide, if no hut thing, hang a bunch of toys in front of a perch in the upper corner for a visual retreat.

Last edited:
OP
KiwiDaConure97

KiwiDaConure97

Nov 19, 2017
Literally every toy I can get for my bird is rope-based. Are rope toys dangerous too or are they safe?

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Rub them pick at them do little threads come off easy? Theer s a cheap white rope they use and tons of threads come off those i won't use them ...

You can make your own toys, or cut those apart and use zip tie to put back together, or use plastic links or burd safe leather

Last edited:

Hannah_rio

Apr 16, 2020
Media
Parrots
Rio,male, yellow sided green cheeked conure.
i make my own toys for my GCC and he likes them even more than the toys i bought for him , its also very easy to make bird toys , you just need rope , safe beads and whatever stuff that is safe for birds. Also , when i bought a toy with a bell for my bird, the inner part got stuck in his beak , we couldnt get it out ourselves so we took him to an avian vet , she told us to make our own toys . i highly recommend it .

Most Reactions