Changes Coming! Don't want to give up Bird!

baron1282

Oct 20, 2012
My wife and I learned that she is pregnant. We looked up much info on this topic and it all says to not have a bird around. :-(

We are attached of course to our pet bird. We don't want to give our little guy up. We also don't want to risk our newborn (when it comes).

Anyone have experience with this? I know that we need to clean the cage and everything and keep the dust down. All that goes without saying, but what can we expect? What do we really need to be worried about?

Echo

Dec 7, 2009
USA
Parrots
Green Cheek Conures, Crimson Conures, CAG, Pionus, Budgies, Goffin Cockatoo
Honestly nothing to worry about. Pregnant or not, you need to keep a bird in a clean environment as no one should breath their dust or powdered poop (which they become if allowed to dry for an extended amount of time), including them!! And still, you only have 1 bird, which doesn't amount to much waste. And GCCs do not produce much dust/dander either.

Echo

Dec 7, 2009
USA
Parrots
Green Cheek Conures, Crimson Conures, CAG, Pionus, Budgies, Goffin Cockatoo
Oh and congratulations!

ShellyBorg

Apr 8, 2013
Redding, CA
Parrots
TAG Spirit,RLA Danny,Senegal Damon, Parrotlet Opal, B&G Paris
I have a friend who raised a Green Wing Macaw and a a baby as a single parent. Both ended up being happy and well adjusted. They are now 10 and the daughter calls the mac her big sister. The family does everything together. Yes it takes some juggling and some times you have to force your self to just sit down and spend some time ,

OP
baron1282

baron1282

Oct 20, 2012
Thanks! I am not really worried, but I am in the process of freaking out. :p

I am not really in the area of life I wish to be at right now. I am finishing up school (Masters Program), and no real job. So I am at the freak out phase here. LOL

Not that I don't want a baby, heck I am happy and freaking out. I just wished I was more financially stable right now.

I am in the middle of starting my own business (A pet shop), and I am hoping that I can continue to do so. I was about to come on here asking for help with that project because I want to sale pet birds. I just get worried I would grow too attached to my animal stock and not want to sale. LOL

I know that as long as I clean, we should be fine. I will learn more as I go. Like I never knew birds can give me Chlamydia. That would be fun explaining to a doctor. haha.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
My parents had 3 large parrots when I was born (2 zons and a too). The female zon fell head over heels for me (there's pics of her in my crib! She thought I was her baby lol), and the other zon adapted fine. The too' never cared much for me, but I was taught from an early age not to touch him, and my parents bought him a pedestal cage once I was learned to walk so my fingers survived lol. Other than that one change, I grew up around the parrots and learned a great appreciation for birds. My parents still have their birds too, all of them 40+ years old now. I don't see why you can't keep your bird after the baby comes. Take actions with training the bird as things move forward (who knows, he may love the baby and need no training) and raise the baby to be respectful and gentle with the bird!

OP
baron1282

baron1282

Oct 20, 2012
I think I am going to take the action of buying a new cage for my bird. One where the baby can't put his fingers in. Like what you said KiwiBird!

I am going to have a Stand open up for me, so I can put a custom bird cage on top of that and it's over three foot tall. So the stand would be perfect for the cage to sit on and so a small child can't walk up to it with fingers ready. :p

The cage itself will be nice and big. 48in length, 18in wide, and 30in tall. So a nice long cage for him to play in when needed. So I am good to go with the new cage.

I thought about getting a CD with baby noises to get them accustom to it. My cats as well. Plus I heard putting baby oil on you from time to time to let them get use to the smell helps. Plus a baby doll to carry around with you some times, helps birds understand what they can and can't do once you have a real child. So I am getting good tips. :p Thanks for the help!

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
The primary problem with some new arrival associations is that the bird(s) end up taking a back seat to the baby & get jealous, develop an attitude & screaming fits.....

SoCalWendy

Jun 29, 2013
Kihei, Hawaii
Parrots
None at the moment
I think I am going to take the action of buying a new cage for my bird. One where the baby can't put his fingers in. Like what you said KiwiBird!

I am going to have a Stand open up for me, so I can put a custom bird cage on top of that and it's over three foot tall. So the stand would be perfect for the cage to sit on and so a small child can't walk up to it with fingers ready. :p

The cage itself will be nice and big. 48in length, 18in wide, and 30in tall. So a nice long cage for him to play in when needed. So I am good to go with the new cage.

I thought about getting a CD with baby noises to get them accustom to it. My cats as well. Plus I heard putting baby oil on you from time to time to let them get use to the smell helps. Plus a baby doll to carry around with you some times, helps birds understand what they can and can't do once you have a real child. So I am getting good tips. :p Thanks for the help!

Congrats! I would be more concerned about a child trying to climb on the cage and toppling it over and getting hurt. If you get the cd let us know if the bird starts sounding like a baby. Rio (Senegal) loves to mimic, she speaks cockatiel perfectly too.

Most Reactions

Latest posts