Charlie is afraid of hands and sticks/perches

ParkersMom

Jan 18, 2013
Nashville TN
Parrots
Parker male BF Amazon hatched 5/2/2012
Charlie unsexed BF Amazon hatched 1994?
Juno Female BH Caique Hatched 6-3-2013
So we have gotten to the point that Charlie is actively wanting to be near us and Parker. The issue is that when I go get near her with my hands in sight she will back away also if I try using a perch she will back away. Unless there is a treat involved but she will quickly take the treat and then back away very quickly. Also if you don't know she is missing a wing and some toes. She still gets around very well but I have to be careful in my approach because she will launch herself onto the floor and can't break the landing without both wings. We have already had an episode with a beak tip being broken...and also if she is in the cage and I push the hand issue she will open me up....not fun at all....and gloves are a no go as well

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
I would just keep offering her treats and allowing her to back off if she's not comfortable, but keep handing those treats out. As she gets more comfortable with you, the more she may be willing to hang out.

I remember when I got Jayde (almost a year ago) and she was so terrified. She badly wanted attention, but was too afraid to leave her cage. She finally got the confidence to leave her cage and sit on my shoulder (hands and arms a no go!), but only for short periods of time. Whenever she became anxious I always took her back to her cage. Fast forward several months and now she'd rather be on me than her cage! I really didn't have to use food with her, as her desire to be with a human kind of out-weighed her desire to remain on her cage, alone. Her behavior was very conflicting at first! Walk up to her and she'd scamper off, avoiding me at all costs. Walk away, and she'd try to follow without leaving her cage. Now that she's flighted, she'll fly to me if I don't pick her up quickly enough.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
The problem with Charlie is that she's been like that for awhile now. She's not very trusting....

Due to Charlie's handicap status I would advise in putting heavy blankets around the front to break the fall. While you use two perches instead of one. Remember how I showed you before? Then in another spot cover the floor with blanket and sit in the middle with Charlie then use the perches to practice step up over and over, this way she's closer to the ground. With handicap birds I work with them closer to the floor just in case they do jump off.

Most Reactions