Charlie is hurt

msdeb

Dec 22, 2013
texas
Parrots
Charlie the birdie, yellow naped amazon and little bird, a monk parrot , and Polly -yellow crowned amazon
I was home sick from work on Friday and had the birds (Charlie and Paulie) out sitting on the cages when we had a fight. Charlie came off the worse for it and got a pretty good bite on his foot. Pauline's beak punctured a toe and the bottom of Charlie 's foot got peeled back. It's the middle of his foot where all the toes join. We made an emergency visit to the vet and they cauterized it and stopped the bleeding. He has antibiotics and pain meds and an ointment for it. He is really being very careful with the paw still today but he's stopped trying to bite it himself. He mutilated one of his toes before I got him so I am worried he is going to be picking at the bite until he does that again. I have been sleeping on the couch watching him since Friday. He is really being a sweetie letting me change bandages and give meds. I have to go back to work on Monday (I really would rather not but we are testing kids this week) y'all please keep my sweet Charlie-the-birdie in your prayers and send good thoughts our way.

OP
msdeb

msdeb

Dec 22, 2013
texas
Parrots
Charlie the birdie, yellow naped amazon and little bird, a monk parrot , and Polly -yellow crowned amazon
IMG_2518.jpg he did have this club foot bandage on to keep him from biting/picking at the injury

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
Good for you, for your quick vet-attendance!

Get better, Charlie!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Quick action! Here's good thoughts for Charlie coming his way.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
First, very happy that you took Charlie into the Vet ASAP! Glad to hear that they had been able to stabilize the toe and that all appears on the mend.

Regarding, going back to work on Monday; Start preparing Sunday by 'bringing together' the entertainment toys he really likes. Also, the foods that he really likes. Slowly, start the ramp-up mid-late Sunday afternoon, so that he knows that something really good is coming his way.

On Monday morning move a reasonable amount into his cage that will keep him busy both with toys and food.

Tuesday morning is a repeat

Wednesday morning is a repeat

Thursday morning begin backing down.

Friday, morning normal supply.

As with any Amazon, you really want to keep this stash hidden, less he determines where the goodies are and makes a run for them!

The goal is to keep him busy all day long and therefore little interest in the bandages.

Warm Feather Hugs and Long Heartfelt Prays!

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Happy to hear you got Charlie to his doc asap..the poor guy :(
Smokey bit Amy's tongue years ago that required 5 stitches..I know what your going thru!
Best wishes and fast recovery for Charlie...you are doing the right thing..and Steven's (sailboat) suggestion on keeping his mind off his bandage is sound.
keep us informed!

Jim

Most Reactions