Charlotte is mad at me

BeatriceC

Feb 9, 2016
San Diego, CA
Parrots
Goofy (YNA), Oscar (Goffin 'too). Foster bird Betty (RLA). RIP Cookie, 1991-2016 ('tiel), Leo (Sengal), Charlotte (scarlet macaw). Grand-birds: Liam (budgie), Donovan (lovebird), RIP Angelo (budgie)
Unfortunately, one of my children had a medical crisis and I spent a lot of time out of the house last week. Charlotte did not handle this well. She's been moody and less consistently receptive to me for the last 5-6 days. She's less willing to step up on my arm, less snuggly, and definitely showing more aggressive behavior in general. She's still able to be handled, but we've lost the consistency we had before.

I know that I just need to be loving and consistent with her, but man is this frustrating. She came so very far and while I expected setbacks, it sucks that they've arrived.

Edited to add: The child in question is fine now. :)

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Good, about the kid being fine.

Wellllll... I feel your pain. Demanding little aliens, aren't they? I huess the good way to look at it might be --- the very fact that she was so bonded with you is the very reason you're in the doghouse now, right? :)

SirEdwin89

Mar 5, 2016
Virginia
Parrots
Confetti (9y/o CAG), Ely (5 y/o Citron SC2), Barney (3 y/o MSC2), Baby (21 y/o Senegal), Peaches (16 y/o M2)
Conan (26 y/o Harlequin Macaw)
I can feel your pain! It feels like some days all I have with Ely are set-backs, setting back even more set backs. I like Gail's way of looking at it though. I also try to remember that hey, you can only have set-backs if you are having progress to begin with!

ardence

Aug 28, 2016
Pittsburgh
Parrots
Bud - Cockatiel ll Queequeg - Green Cheek Conure ll Savo - Cockatiel
Haha, aw, I'm sorry! It just means she loves you though. :)

The first time I went away for a few days and left little Queequeg with just Tyler? She destroyed the blinds! Looked like a dang snowstorm when she got through with them. Temper tantrums happen.

Glad to hear that your kid is okay!

OP
B

BeatriceC

Feb 9, 2016
San Diego, CA
Parrots
Goofy (YNA), Oscar (Goffin 'too). Foster bird Betty (RLA). RIP Cookie, 1991-2016 ('tiel), Leo (Sengal), Charlotte (scarlet macaw). Grand-birds: Liam (budgie), Donovan (lovebird), RIP Angelo (budgie)
Gail, you're right, that's a really good way of looking at things. If she didn't have any bond with me at all, she wouldn't be mad at me.

She seems to be mostly better this morning. She's currently on my knee preening my arm, so she has at least mostly forgiven me. There might have been some fruit and cashews involved in that. :)

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
Ah bless that all is good in your house again. As others have said before me, she loves you and there is nothing greater than to be loved by your bird. As this is probably the first separation she may be better if it has to happen again as there was probably other things mixed in - were you coming back, was she moving on again? There could be so many things going through her clever little head.

Most Reactions

Latest posts