Charlotte takes a HUGE step!

BeatriceC

Feb 9, 2016
San Diego, CA
Parrots
Goofy (YNA), Oscar (Goffin 'too). Foster bird Betty (RLA). RIP Cookie, 1991-2016 ('tiel), Leo (Sengal), Charlotte (scarlet macaw). Grand-birds: Liam (budgie), Donovan (lovebird), RIP Angelo (budgie)
Im putting this in its own thread because it's just so huge I thought it deserved its own thread. We were told she wouldn't let humans touch her and in four years had absolutely refused to get on a human arm, and bit wildly and aggressively if anybody tried. We got her Sunday evening. This was yesterday, and she did it all on her own. MrC just put his arm next to her casually, not asking her to step up at all, and she just climbed right up.

It's a little disappointing that she's choosing him, but in the end, I don't care as long as she's happy.

happy410

Jul 23, 2015
ALABAMA
Parrots
Happy, DYH Amazon
Tesla, Blue & Gold Macaw
That's so great to see and here. Trust takes time, looks like it's off to a GREAT start.

Last edited:
OP
B

BeatriceC

Feb 9, 2016
San Diego, CA
Parrots
Goofy (YNA), Oscar (Goffin 'too). Foster bird Betty (RLA). RIP Cookie, 1991-2016 ('tiel), Leo (Sengal), Charlotte (scarlet macaw). Grand-birds: Liam (budgie), Donovan (lovebird), RIP Angelo (budgie)
The idea MrC had when he put his arm out was just to teach her that a human arm wasn't a scary thing. He figured if he just held his arm there and talked to her, without asking her to step up, she'd become less frightened. We didn't think at all that she would actually step up, given what we were told about her. I'm starting to revise what I think her issues are, based on what she's done with us this week. I think she's craving interaction and attention but is frightened of it for whatever reason. She does the happy birdie "come play with me" dance frequently, but then gets skittish when we approach her. So we just talk to her and dance with her, getting closer to her as her comfort allows. Wednesday she started letting us scritch her head a little (Tuesday night for him), and yesterday she did this. I'm astounded at how fast she's learning to trust us. I figured it would be weeks, if not months before we got to this point.

BIRDIGIRL

Jan 25, 2016
Mayo Ireland
Parrots
Rodney Blue Fronted Amazon
RIP Mr Biggles White Fronted Amazon , Elsa and Little Nellow the Lutino Budgies, Lady Primrose a Pied Budgie and English Budgies Houdini Popeye and Olive
This is Wonderful...just goes to show when the arm is to her liking and is an appealing trustful perch she can turn human logic and certainty upside down and inside out hee hee...way to go Charlotte ... :)

Most Reactions