Check wing/s

Horada

Mar 30, 2017
Australia
Parrots
x2 Male Cockatiels (Born Aug 2016)
Sunny - younger, placid & dominant
Sky - Older, trouble, jealous & chewer

Previously had a male Budgie that lived for 12 years.
Is there some kind of training I can do to teach my tiel to let me check his wing/s?

(I've tried to check myself and he's not bleeding profusley on a cotton ball, there was barely any trace of blood on it. But he's mad at me now for grabbing him - which I don't like doing unless I really have to. I hope he'll be less mad after a sleep and treat bribery)

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Question, in reference to your other thread about poop under the wing, did this actually turn out to be blood?

YUMgrinder

Mar 20, 2017
Cheyenne, WY
Parrots
-Jazz, Normal Grey Cockatiel /

-Chessie, Pearl Cockatiel /

-Perry, Black capped Conure /

-JoJo, Pineapple GCC /

3 little busy Budgies
I suspect if you practice trying to lift his wing a little each day he will eventually become comfortable with you lifting his wings to check em.

I've had my tiel for 3 months about. I had to check her wings the other day cause I thought I saw something scary. It looked like a bruise that was swollen right where her wings connects to her torso. I checked under her wings over and over comparing sides and she squirmed a lot but I continued being gentle and sort of held her to my legs covering her head with my palm of one hand and covered her butt with my other palm, she calmed down and I could check under her wings. I then gave her lovins.

Turns out, there naturally is a bump there, on both sides and I suspect it's just part of her muscle. It just looked scary cause one side had very little feathers and her skin was showing. The other side had feathers. She is molting so that's probably the reason for the bald spot. all is well.

Why was there blood?

OP
Horada

Horada

Mar 30, 2017
Australia
Parrots
x2 Male Cockatiels (Born Aug 2016)
Sunny - younger, placid & dominant
Sky - Older, trouble, jealous & chewer

Previously had a male Budgie that lived for 12 years.
Question, in reference to your other thread about poop under the wing, did this actually turn out to be blood?

No, this is my other tiel now. I saw him bleeding around him primary flight feathers under the wing. I don't know is how it happened, but I saw traces of blood on his beak. I grabbed him to see how bad he was bleeding (which was hardly any)

Most Reactions

Latest posts