Chick peas / garbanzo sprouts!!! yeah....

jenphilly

Oct 15, 2013
Lehigh Valley, PA
Parrots
BE2 (Ivory), B&G Macaw (Max), Budgie Group,
Granbirds- tiels; GCC (Monkey & Monster); Sun Conure (Loki); Bare Eyed Too (Folger); Evil Green Monster YNA (Kelly); B&G (Titan)
Okay, I had read you can sprout about any bean or grain that is not cut or hulled. So since we're all chick pea fans here and the birds loved the mix Tor made with chick peas, thought I'd spend the $1.38 and get a pound dried chick peas :)

I soaked them Thusday and put them in the tray yesterday with the already sprouting lentils. Woke up this morning and when I opened the top tray to rinse everything, look what I found!!!

Of course tried one :) They are a little harder, not a crunch, but not super soft, but they have a good taste! Will have to try them everyday to see when they taste their best as the tails grow!

Had to share, I know some have worries about sprouting, but it is really super easy. If anyone would like a how to, I should be starting new trays tomorrow, I can do few how to videos to show what we use and how... Super easy and we enjoy eating them as much as the birds!!

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
How to videos would be awesome, Jen:) Those look fantastic too, and I am sure my guys would love them!

OP
jenphilly

jenphilly

Oct 15, 2013
Lehigh Valley, PA
Parrots
BE2 (Ivory), B&G Macaw (Max), Budgie Group,
Granbirds- tiels; GCC (Monkey & Monster); Sun Conure (Loki); Bare Eyed Too (Folger); Evil Green Monster YNA (Kelly); B&G (Titan)
So I need to clean up a corner of my kitchen counter so I can do a video :)

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Please don't clean on my account! It will make me feel better about my own counter:)

Squirt

Oct 13, 2013
NJ
Parrots
Sun Conure (f) Tallulah
How did the birds like the chickpea sprouts? I just sprouted some for the first time.

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)
I've sprouted just about everything except chick peas, but they're next on my list. Yours look really good. :)

LoriP

Jul 18, 2009
Honduras
Parrots
White Cap Pionus "Snoopy"
Good for you jenphilly! I do quite a bit of sprouting but have never successfully sprouted chick peas. A few will barely start to sprout but then the whole tray sours. Probably has to do with my hot and humid climate (which pretty much makes all sprouting a challenge) Wish I could do chick peas as I am sure we would all love them.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
I don't know much about sprouting, since when I have them it's cause I bought them at the store!
I've heard in the past something about mold dangers (did I hear that right?) during the growing process. Then something about using GSE (grape seed extract)? Can anyone fill me in on that?

Also Jen, where did you get that nifty sprouting container? It looks easy!

witchbaby

Feb 4, 2014
Virginia
Parrots
cinnamon turquoise gcc - luna,
pineapple gcc - drago,
galah/rose breasted cockatoo - merlin,
timneh african grey - jasper,
pied cockatiel - picasso,
blue & gold macaw - mia
Oh wow! I'm going to have to agree, how-to videos would be great! :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts