Chickens

sofiaee

Jul 19, 2013
Parrots
Yellow Sided GCC Oliver (October 2009), and a Cinnamon GCC Mia (August 2013)
I'm about to pick up some new chicks and the place I was planning on putting them is across the room from Oliver under my hermit crab tank. But I'm wondering if it's likely that they could pass something to Oliver? Most people on chicken forums don't think that baby chicks are likely to carry sikness and therefore can immediately be introduced to a flock (if a broody hen js willing to take them). And Oliver has interacted with baby chicks from this place before but I was ignorant about quarantine though. Is this too big of a risk to take? Please let me know before I set up their area.

Thank you!

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Baby chicks freshly hatched or have been with adults and such already????

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Normally those chicks are hatched in an incubator, they are pretty much disease free. I too have lots of chicken,turkeys, etc. along with my many amazons. I've never had an issue, HOWEVER the only "new" birds that come into my "flock" are from eggs. Either i buy eggs online or from my own birds. I don't buy chicks, i buy eggs and hatch myself.Only buy NPIP certified and you shouldn't have an issue.

OP
S

sofiaee

Jul 19, 2013
Parrots
Yellow Sided GCC Oliver (October 2009), and a Cinnamon GCC Mia (August 2013)
They have probably had contact with adult birds because callahans also sells these. I decided to keep them in the spare room, it's downstairs anyways which will mean more people will walk in and handle them so they'll be more tame. They sell them 1-7 days old depending on when they got the shipment in

Thanks though guys!

Most Reactions