Choosing a parrot

OP
S

Schagi

Jan 29, 2014
Could you show me some cage which, according to your opinion, would be good for a sennie (spending all those horrible hours in it)? I will try to find something similar here.

Kinny

Jul 26, 2013
Media
South Australia
Parrots
1 male Cockatiel
That box may be ok for some birds.. But i would never recommend it! If the bird doesnt see car flashes/tv etc, how can you ever expect it to not be a frightful bird? I always allow my birds to be in the busiest room with a cage they can see out of. They always watch the Tv with us and become used to what tvs are and that they aren't a threat. I think that guy babys his birds a bit too much lol. Im sure the sennie would be FINE in a normal cage. Ive NEVER given my pet birds large cages, for one it encouraged them to explore and experience normal household happenings, and also i have them with me, whether its a shower, vacuuming, etc. My birds just ignore the tv and turn around if its on and they want to sleep. They just dont care.

I would only make a box cage like that for my Kakarikis, as they will explore outside the box anyway, and love dark corners etc. But even then id prefer not.

OP
S

Schagi

Jan 29, 2014
Hello, just wanted to share my current news. The parrot I previously mentioned was sold to another purchasers, but at the same time, by coincidence, I got in touch with older lady, who is having (besides other parrots) senegals and currently is handfeeding two babies. They are adorable...pictures attached. One parrot should be boy, one girl. Boy is quite an adventurer, examining everything and always trying to get somewhere else. They should be ready for new owners in May.

Also, the lady seems to be very friendly and loving towards her birds, she told me that if I want to, she will purchase harness, start to train the parrot to get used to it, start to teach him to listen to his name, etc. She also told me how she is looking forward to take the birds outside so they can feel grass and see the world for the first time :)

She calls me approx. once a week, informing me about how the parrots are, etc.

However, I am still a bit hesitant, having in mind the consequences and weight of the commitment I would enter into (if i will be capable of making the parrot happy for the rest of his life)...thinking about whole thing almost constantly :confused:

Attachments

• IMG_1887.jpg
    IMG_1887.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_1888.jpg
    IMG_1888.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_1890.jpg
    IMG_1890.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_1891.jpg
    IMG_1891.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_1898.jpg
    IMG_1898.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 179
Last edited:

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
I admit I'm biased. I can't recommend sennies enough. I have 1 and am getting another.

Most Reactions