Chop for red lored amazon parrot

Dodge_girl29

Dec 21, 2023
Parrots
I have a red lored amazon parrot.
1000012995.jpg

So I am some what new to the bird world. This is Buddy he is 27 give or take. I got him from my boyfriends parents who could no longer care for him. They only fed him cheap seeds and peanuts. I just recently learned about chop. So I'm looking for recipes for chop. So if anyone has any great recipes let me know.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
SO a caution, do not transition to a new food abruptly ie switching to all chop from his current diet. Parrots are very capable of starving themselves to death rather then eat unfamilar foods. Have the chop available for him to try but still give him his normal diet. Once you see he is at least eating some chop, you can give less and less of his crappy diet stuff.

If you look thru my Salty thread, below, I usually detail what I put into each batch of chop. I make enough to bag and freeze chop for 3-4 months, in 1 qrt freezer bags, 3 days in each one. My base is always a LOT of hot , hot peppers, parrots love them and they are great for them.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Welcome to the forum.
Umā€¦.
It looks like Buddy is chewing on that rope perch.

I would recommend you change that out ASAP.
If Buddy eats it he will be a goner.
I believe thatā€™s what killed my RLA Pacho.

changing the diet of a parrot must be done slowly and with care.

OP
Dodge_girl29

Dodge_girl29

Dec 21, 2023
Parrots
SO a caution, do not transition to a new food abruptly ie switching to all chop from his current diet. Parrots are very capable of starving themselves to death rather then eat unfamilar foods. Have the chop available for him to try but still give him his normal diet. Once you see he is at least eating some chop, you can give less and less of his crappy diet stuff.

If you look thru my Salty thread, below, I usually detail what I put into each batch of chop. I make enough to bag and freeze chop for 3-4 months, in 1 qrt freezer bags, 3 days in each one. My base is always a LOT of hot , hot peppers, parrots love them and they are great for them.
Thank you. That is what I did when switching from one bird food to another

OP
Dodge_girl29

Dodge_girl29

Dec 21, 2023
Parrots
Welcome to the forum.
Umā€¦.
It looks like Buddy is chewing on that rope perch.

I would recommend you change that out ASAP.
If Buddy eats it he will be a goner.
I believe thatā€™s what killed my RLA Pacho.

changing the diet of a parrot must be done slowly and with care.
Yea funny thing is I just got that for him not that long ago. It's definitely hard finding things long enough to put in his cage

Most Reactions

Latest posts