Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
I am curious, do you birds like to check out your Christmas tree if you put one up? Our cat loved to climb in the tree, Canelo and Chug our dogs like to lay under the tree, soon I'll get to see how Buddy reacts. We put up an artificial tree so I'm sure there are chemicals and other unknowns with the tree. And of course all the shiny ornaments, Buddy loves shiny. If your bird likes to investigate, how do you manage them? Are they allowed around your tree? Are they sneaky and move to the tree when you aren't looking?

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Mine were actually very good about not getting up there, even though some of my ornaments do qualify as fancy bird toys.

My conures way back when liked to sit in the dang tree... and thought it was just another fancy parrot tree. But none of my big birds were all that interested.

We always placed the tree at the far end of the people space. Where they weren't supposed to wander without permission.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
We have a very small tinsel tree, that sits way up high on a table. Kiwi cannot reach it (though he may if he were flighted) and is not permitted near it. My moms DYH loves sitting under their tree amongst the presents. She's not being naughty either, just chillin, blending in with all the brightly-wrapped packages:D

You'll probably have to wait and see with Buddy. Supervision for sure if he is curious, but he may be intimidated by it too. Don't let him chew it, but the fact it's artificial should be ok. Oh, and when the time comes, you'll have to get some Buddy near the tree pics:D He's a Christmas-color bird after all!

Amanda_Bennett

Sep 27, 2014
Gresham, OR
Parrots
Zilla 29 Y.O. Orange Wing Amazon
Would a real tree be safe? I always have a real tree.

This year it will have to be a small one on a table or something since Zilla's cage takes up as much space as a large tree would, but I would still like to have one if I can.

Of course she is always supervised when out of her cage, I don't even leave her out while in the kitchen cooking since I can't see her from there.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
we have a very small tinsel tree, that sits way up high on a table. Kiwi cannot reach it (though he may if he were flighted) and is not permitted near it. My moms dyh loves sitting under their tree amongst the presents. She's not being naughty either, just chillin, blending in with all the brightly-wrapped packages:d

you'll probably have to wait and see with buddy. Supervision for sure if he is curious, but he may be intimidated by it too. Don't let him chew it, but the fact it's artificial should be ok. Oh, and when the time comes, you'll have to get some buddy near the tree pics:d he's a christmas-color bird after all!

see now mine are ravenous paper shredders...

The presents would get opened prematurely... Two of my three amigos would see to that, and at that point, it would probably become a flock activity...

veimar

Feb 5, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
gcc Parry; lovebird Coco; 3 budgies (Tesla, Franky and Cesar); cockatiel Murzik, red rump parakeet girl Onyx
I have a Norfolk island pine as a Christmas tree (it's safe for birds) and don't hang much on it - just some glitter rain and a few cloth ornaments. These trees hate being touched or have stuff hanged on them. My birds had never any interest in it so far because it is very awkward to climb on - they tried a few times and gave up.

Most Reactions