cinnamon green cheek plucking?? HELP

jmigs

Apr 15, 2013
my cinnamon green cheek is 3 years old. Her behavior has been excellent, no problems until recently about a week ago. She has been itching all over her head, and chewing her feathers under her neck. Her diet has been the same, and her cage set up has been the same since we have gotten her, there are has been no environmental changes where her cage is. She looks completely healthy,and there is NO signs of cloudy eyes or runny nostrils. I have noticed that the bottom of her cage was covered in small feathers, almost like she is in the process of molting. But i am not sure if it is a self destructive behavior or its just her molting. When she is on her perch or hanging outside of her cage she tends to chew at her neck feathers. When I blow on her neck I do see new pin feathers . I need help to determine whether this is the beginning stages of plucking? or just molting! PLEASE HELP.. i have also a video of her doing it..[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dt5VVZJ1DEc]VID_20130414_090708_1848 - YouTube[/ame]

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
Since this is the same question, I'll offer the same answer.....

When you say chewing, is she leaving chewed feathers on her body or on the floor of the cage, or are you just seeing whole feathers on the cage floor ? ? ?

While ruffling their feathers usually takes care of the loose ones, some times there are hangers-on...sort of like hairs/eyelashes that hang around & irritate you, until you brush them away, birds will worry with those too.....

Molting causes their skin to become itchy & tender in spots, but if you're not seeing chewed feathers, I would say she's chewing the new sheaths from her incoming feathers...and that's just a regular occurrence, but if you are finding chewed feathers on her body, you may want to have your vet look at her.....

Most Reactions

Latest posts