Cleaning cage??

millymb21

Nov 7, 2021
Parrots
parrotlet
Hi! I was wondering what products to use on the cage? I have been using water and vinegar, but I feel like its not disinfecting enough. I also am figuring out a way to clean the rope perches. Any advice would be great.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Hi! I was wondering what products to use on the cage? I have been using water and vinegar, but I feel like its not disinfecting enough. I also am figuring out a way to clean the rope perches. Any advice would be great.
A clean cage is so important but cages can be a real pain to clean thoroughly and safely. I'd put the rope perches in the laundry and the dryer. This will get them nice and clean. Trim off any lose strings before putting them back in the cage. As for the cage, put your bird in a travel cage or bird carrier, take the cage apart if you can and put the metal pieces in the dishwasher OR put them or the whole cage in the shower, get into the shower with the cage, and use antibacterial soap and a clean scrub brush to give it a good cleaning. Always rinse thoroughly and either let it air dry or dry it with a clean towel. I wouldn't use any soaps, detergents or disinfectants unless you can rinse it thoroughly.
If the weather's nice you can bring the empty cage outside and wash it using antibacterial soap, a scrub brush and and a garden hose.
Don't put plastic cage parts, dishes, or toys in the dishwasher because the high temps could melt the plastic and the parts in won't go back together right.
I try to clean my birds' cages thoroughly like this every few months.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
A clean cage is so important but cages can be a real pain to clean thoroughly and safely. I'd put the rope perches in the laundry and the dryer. This will get them nice and clean. Trim off any lose strings before putting them back in the cage. As for the cage, put your bird in a travel cage or bird carrier, take the cage apart if you can and put the metal pieces in the dishwasher OR put them or the whole cage in the shower, get into the shower with the cage, and use antibacterial soap and a clean scrub brush to give it a good cleaning. Always rinse thoroughly and either let it air dry or dry it with a clean towel. I wouldn't use any soaps, detergents or disinfectants unless you can rinse it thoroughly.
If the weather's nice you can bring the empty cage outside and wash it using antibacterial soap, a scrub brush and and a garden hose.
Don't put plastic cage parts, dishes, or toys in the dishwasher because the high temps could melt the plastic and the parts in won't go back together right.
I try to clean my birds' cages thoroughly like this every few months.
If the weather is warm and your birds like baths you can bring the cages outside and hose the cages off with the birds inside them. Only use cleaning products during this bird-in hosing off if you can be sire your birds don't get near the chemicals, like in hidden areas they can't access. I suppose you could also put the cage in the shower with the birds inside and use a hand held sprayer to rinse the cage off and give your birdies a fun shower at the same time! As long as you can rinse off all visible bird poop and food residue I wouldn't worry too much about disinfecting the cage. The bacteria found in bird cages is usually harmless to the birds or all our birds would get sick. Visually clean is generally enough.

OP
millymb21

millymb21

Nov 7, 2021
Parrots
parrotlet
If the weather is warm and your birds like baths you can bring the cages outside and hose the cages off with the birds inside them. Only use cleaning products during this bird-in hosing off if you can be sire your birds don't get near the chemicals, like in hidden areas they can't access. I suppose you could also put the cage in the shower with the birds inside and use a hand held sprayer to rinse the cage off and give your birdies a fun shower at the same time! As long as you can rinse off all visible bird poop and food residue I wouldn't worry too much about disinfecting the cage. The bacteria found in bird cages is usually harmless to the birds or all our birds would get sick. Visually clean is generally enough.
Thank you so much! I will start doing that

MayMaroa

Feb 13, 2022
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Parrots
2 female budgies i have a green named tofu she is 1 years old(she turned one years old in April) and i have a blue budgie named sky she is the younger one she is younger then tofu by a few days
I know im late, but this is how I personally clean their cage, I take the cage into the bathroom and wash it with steamy hot water and when I clean their perches because there's poop stuck on them I just let them sit in steaming water for 5 min the poop would be already melted so all I need to do is scrap off the poop with a toothbrush.

Most Reactions