Cleaning toys, cage, etc.

Codil7

Sep 26, 2018
Kentucky
Parrots
1.0 Eclectus
Ive been spot cleaning Ekko’s cage and toys with a variety of methods but I feel as if there are much better ways than what I’m doing. What are some efficient ways of cleaning your parrots cage, toys, accessories? Especially cloth fabric toys like boings and rope perches. Any specifics on what to wash them with or how to do so?

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
NL= the Netherlands, Europe
Parrots
Sunny a female B&G macaw;
Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey;
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
I just take mine into the shower, remove the hardened poop, fruit peel etc. and give them a good soak - rinse and sqeeze well, let dry.
( and repeat a lot, dirty buggers ;) ).

Any soap will do al long as you rinse really, really well.

OP
C

Codil7

Sep 26, 2018
Kentucky
Parrots
1.0 Eclectus
Ok great I’ll try the shower idea. I was really concerned with soaps and that sort of thing being toxic to the birds. I know pet stores sell a lot of bird safe cleaners but some people don’t fully trust those.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Non- patterned paper towels (double layer) for cage-bottom...F10 SC (yellow) to spray grate every morning (this stuff is the best and it is a really good deal, and it doesn't have to be rinsed once dried as long as properly diluted). I also spray this under where the towels sit---Fresh towel 1 time daily...sometimes 2. Cut up carpet runners to border cage perimeter and catch poop. I have sprayed wooden toys with properly diluted f10 etc but only if there is plenty of time for it to dry. I have boiled cloth toys or run them through the dishwasher--the risk there, is that the detergent might not come out all of the way. Baking is another option for some toys.

For detailed/full clean- shower+hot water+ toothbrush+ f10 sc

I also run an air filter to keep up with extreme cockatoo dust

Last edited:

LeslieA

Aug 21, 2018
Media
Albums
Parrotian Castle
Parrots
Glenn, IRN; Sherman, WCP; JoJo, budgie; Tommy, budgie; Daytona, Sunday; Sir Lancelot, GCC; Duchess, BCC; Chirps, GRP (Green-rumped Parrotlet)
Daily, the cages get a quick dusting and the top layer of paper gets pulled at bedtime. That way I not only start/end each day with a clean cage, I know where the bird actually slept.

Weekly, I use PoopOff (non-fraganced enzymatic cleaner) to clean poopy perches, bars, grates and toys. Now is a good time to exchange toys and forage baskets. Each tray gets 14 layers of paper, so two can be removed daily.

Quarterly, I use F10 (disinfectant) to disinfect the clean cage.

Annually, the cages are taken outside for a thorough cleaning with vinegar and water, sun drying, then spraying with F10 and, again, sun drying.

I've found the key is a regular and scheduled cleaning! I've heard of the bathtub thing but prefer to clean the cages in place weekly with a summer scrub. I use a variety of tools including leftover toothbrushes, washcloths and shower scrubbers (like loofahs).

Last edited:

Most Reactions