Cleaning Your Bird

Sherbert.the.Bird

May 12, 2017
California
Parrots
Lutino Bourke's Parakeet
Little Miss Sherbert is a messy eater for a little bird. She likes to push through her fruits and veggies, digging for her favorites. She also really does not like baths/most water. Apparently, this is typical of most Bourke's parakeets. This leads to a lot of food remains getting stuck to the feathers around her beak. My question is this, how would you go about cleaning a birds face feathers, for lack of a better term?

Attachments

• 20170611_151512.jpg
    20170611_151512.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 116

ParrotLover2001

Dec 20, 2016
In my parents house
Parrots
A cockatiel, a bourke, and three budgies
I mist my birds twice a week, but my flock isn't all that messy, maybe gently rubbing the messy feathers Will clean them off.

Sent from my Galaxy s8

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, MaximilianÒ€ℒs Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
29a0e46fbe9f1f8ecc6a09b71fe9792c.jpg

What? You think birds should be CLEAN???

Lol this is Honi as a yearling and this is how she looked ALL THE TIME because she pigged out on the fresh stuff every day. I couldn't get/keep her clean no matter what.

She grew out of it. I offer bowls big enough to bathe in and I try to mist them 1-2 times per week, but even daily baths didn't work for her. Thankfully she learned to keep clean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

snowflake311

Jun 7, 2016
Tahoe
Parrots
Sprinkels, Black capped Conure/
Olaf, male, Budgie/
Sweetpea, female, Budgie/
RIP Kiwi, female, Senegal
I have no problem getting my conure to take a bath. He loves water. If you have a bird that is not a fan of water I think misting would be the best way to do it.

Most Reactions