Cleaning your birds bowls

DRB

Jan 23, 2016
Ohio
Parrots
Perjo - Female CAG hatch Nov 2015
I use the stainless steel bowls that came with the cage for Perjo's water and food, just curious as to how far some of you go in cleaning them and how you do it?

Just hot soapy water and a nice quick scrub, soak in diluted bleach?

I clean them every day, and usually in dish soap with a sponge scrub and a good rinse. Is that enough to ensure all bacteria is gone?

Christinenc2000

Oct 8, 2014
North Carolina
Parrots
Big Bird _ Blue & Gold Macaw
I would not use bleach. I just wash with Dawn.

Once a week I try to throw them in the dishwasher along with some of his toys.

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
I use the dawn infused bounty paper towels. Perfect for this! Use them for all pet bowls I don't want to use the regular sponge on.

Christinenc2000

Oct 8, 2014
North Carolina
Parrots
Big Bird _ Blue & Gold Macaw
Oh And I don't use sponges. Paper towels, dish cloth and a Small scrub brush.

Growing up my Mom was a freak about Sponges being a breeding ground for bacteria and i guess it stuck lol

Aquila

Nov 19, 2012
Philadelphia
Parrots
Sydney - Blue Front Amazon
Gonzo - Congo African Grey
Willow - Cockatiel
RIP:
Snowy, Ivy, Kiwi, Ghost - Parakeets
Berry - Cinnamon GCC
Same a Christine, blue dawn, and in the dishwasher once a week or so.

Food bowls usually get soaked in hot water and dawn if they're especially icky, and water bowls get changed a few times a day, since everyone likes to dunk food or bathe in them!

BIRDIGIRL

Jan 25, 2016
Mayo Ireland
Parrots
Rodney Blue Fronted Amazon
RIP Mr Biggles White Fronted Amazon , Elsa and Little Nellow the Lutino Budgies, Lady Primrose a Pied Budgie and English Budgies Houdini Popeye and Olive
I use no soap at all I steam clean only. I think steam cleaning is the safest way to kill all bacteria. Twice a week I steep the bowls in hot water (boiling) for a few mins then I steam clean and dry them naturally ...of course I make sure they are cool to the touch before placing them back in the cage

OutlawedSpirit

Apr 12, 2016
Northern Illinois, USA
Parrots
Bo - DYH ~ Gus - CAG ~ Twitch - Linnie ~ Apple - Pineapple GCC ~ Goliath - Quaker ~ Squish - Peach face Lovebird
I just use dish soap and water as well. I don't know if I'd want to use bleach at all myself for a food or water bowl. If I thought it needed more than soap and water, I might use a little vinegar. Steam is also a good option. When I was hand feeding, I would stream everything after each feeding.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I use the stainless steel bowls that came with the cage for Perjo's water and food, just curious as to how far some of you go in cleaning them and how you do it?

Just hot soapy water and a nice quick scrub, soak in diluted bleach?

I clean them every day, and usually in dish soap with a sponge scrub and a good rinse. Is that enough to ensure all bacteria is gone?

NO BLEACH! If there is a bleach residue, and the bird ingests it... THAT COULD BE FATAL! (But at least he died with a clean bowl... :p)

Just dish soap and water with a scrubber sponge.

dhraiden

Jul 14, 2015
Queens NY
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure (Mochi)
Gold Capped Conure (Mango)
No bleach. Vinegar and baking soda. Or just hot water and some 7th generation or other natural dish-soap suds. I mean, I wouldn't drink out of a container that had been bleached - that seems excessive. Our fids seem to lately like dumping food into their bowls and making it all scuzzy and disgusting (to us- maybe it's flavored water to them, lol). Before that, the GCC somehow always pooped in her bowl. So it's a LOT of bowl rinsing. Methinks too few germs, with no long-term exposure, is worse than a moderate amount of "normally present" microbes/germs/bacteria/etc. After all birds and parrots especially normally have robust immune systems, and a bird in the jungle is surrounded by microbes and moisture!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
We got the optional extra bowls with the cages, stands, etc... and that has a set in the dishwasher, a set bring used and two on standby.

Yup, combination of mother, mother-in-law and wife. I just follow instructions. :rolleyes:

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
No bleach. Vinegar and baking soda. Or just hot water and some 7th generation or other natural dish-soap suds. I mean, I wouldn't drink out of a container that had been bleached - that seems excessive. Our fids seem to lately like dumping food into their bowls and making it all scuzzy and disgusting (to us- maybe it's flavored water to them, lol). Before that, the GCC somehow always pooped in her bowl. So it's a LOT of bowl rinsing. Methinks too few germs, with no long-term exposure, is worse than a moderate amount of "normally present" microbes/germs/bacteria/etc. After all birds and parrots especially normally have robust immune systems, and a bird in the jungle is surrounded by microbes and moisture!

Agreed and to be honest I am more concerned with not spreading and transferring nasties round the kitchen from the likes of raw chicken prep than how clean the food bowls are. If you steam, dishwash, boil or even bake your dishes but your kitchen is covered with salmonella it wont make the least bit of difference IMO.

Hot water and washing up liquid with a rinse off under hot water.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts