Clicker training, next step question

andielane87

Mar 3, 2014
NC
Parrots
Bubba (budgie)
Mango (budgie)
Banjo (GCC)
I've had Banjo for a week now and he went from super sweet to a biting meanie back to a sweet little bird. I am finding success in reading his body language (when he's grumpy I just leave him alone for a bit and try again). Yesterday I got bitten 3 times and my bf twice and he went in time out and since then he's been a little ray of sunshine. Today he "bit" me once because I lifted his wing to check a feather, it was the softest bite yet. :)

The other thing I have found that's been another huge help is clicker training!
He's mastered "come here" even though he sometimes does it only if he sees millet present, but other times he eagerly comes right on up!

What should I do to progress more? Keep working on the "come here" only or should I add more tricks, if so what? He's HIGHLY treat motivated! :rolleyes:

Sterling1113

Feb 15, 2014
Dallas area, Texas
It's good he's so motivated by food!! Have you done target training with a wooden dowel or a chop stick? Target training is one of the best and easiest things to teach him, and it opens up so many doors for other tricks!
Once you've got him following the stick around his cage, you can guide him to touch certain objects, pick things up, climb ropes, etc.. the list goes on! There's good videos on youtube, just search clicker training or target training and you'll see what I mean. :)
And of course I'm sure there's tons of people on here who can share their success stories with you as far as clicker training goes. I'm glad he's getting better! Sounds like you're doing an awesome job with him.

Edit: Brief explanation.. lol. Target training is done with a small dowel or chop stick, hold it up near the bird, when he moves toward it or even gets curious and touches it with his beak, click and reward immediately! Eventually he will learn to follow the stick, because when he touches it he gets a treat and praise. :) If you've already done this, then ignore this edit.. hehe.

OP
A

andielane87

Mar 3, 2014
NC
Parrots
Bubba (budgie)
Mango (budgie)
Banjo (GCC)
It's good he's so motivated by food!! Have you done target training with a wooden dowel or a chop stick? Target training is one of the best and easiest things to teach him, and it opens up so many doors for other tricks!
Once you've got him following the stick around his cage, you can guide him to touch certain objects, pick things up, climb ropes, etc.. the list goes on! There's good videos on youtube, just search clicker training or target training and you'll see what I mean. :)
And of course I'm sure there's tons of people on here who can share their success stories with you as far as clicker training goes. I'm glad he's getting better! Sounds like you're doing an awesome job with him.

Edit: Brief explanation.. lol. Target training is done with a small dowel or chop stick, hold it up near the bird, when he moves toward it or even gets curious and touches it with his beak, click and reward immediately! Eventually he will learn to follow the stick, because when he touches it he gets a treat and praise. :) If you've already done this, then ignore this edit.. hehe.

Thank you thank you!!! I didn't know what Target training was when I read your msg and then your edit. I youtubed some videos and will go out and get a chopstick or something similar tomorrow.

Thank you, we were flustered for sure for 3 days but we were not reading his body language, we took his treats away and he wasn't happy! I'm so glad clicker training is helping him, soooo much. He has mastered 3 "tricks" already!!! Come here, step up and say (nod) yes! All in the past 2 days, so blessed!

Thanks for all your advice, I really try to heed it!

Sterling1113

Feb 15, 2014
Dallas area, Texas
No problem at all! Happy to help when I can. Trick training also helps them burn energy and stay focused, so they're not so "bored" and looking to chew on you.. hehe. Excited to hear about progress you and your friend will make in the future, sounds like your bird is a lucky fellow indeed! :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts