sherylb

Jul 21, 2018
Media
Utah
Parrots
Kiwi the Quaker
Jack the IRN
Finley the BF Amazon
I got a DVD for Clicker training. Kiwi does not like a whole lot of treats. He will take nuts from me but loses interest after a bit or two....He won't eat dried fruit or any type of fruit or veggi. He likes his pellets and that's it.

Any suggestions on what to do for a reward? He's still adjusting since I've only had him 2 weeks now but I feel like I need to do something with him. He was stepping up on my finger when I first brought him home. Even if it was only for a second he stepped up, now he goes the other way and refuses. He's so weird. I'm trying to get him adjusted to the living room. He just doesn't like it in there and it may be my fault for wheeling him into my office everyday when I work. He loves it there but after work when we go to the living room he becomes grouchy and quiet and he growls at me! LOL. He's been in the living room all weekend, the 2nd weekend and I can see more relaxing on his part, i think it's all the noises of the kitchen and the big area but he sang to music and kissed me every once in a while but he still growled at me alot like he's mad at me! So I thought maybe I should try training but I have no idea what to use for rewards. I guess I should watch the DVD to see what they have to say before asking you all.

How do I get a video clip on here so you all can see how happy he is in my office and then what a little brat he is in the living room? LOL...On the attachments it wont take my video clip??

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
NL= the Netherlands, Europe
Parrots
Sunny a female B&G macaw;
Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey;
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
Try fruitjuice (even from a syringe, works for mine), small pieces of fruit of anything else from the "feed only very sparringly" list?

Some parrots wil work for praise/ attention, not food.

A reward is a reward no matter what size or shape. ;)

(for video: try youtube or imgur?)

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Unfortunately the forum does not support direct uploading of videos. Best method is to open or use an existing YouTube account. From there, simply attach the desired video to your post.

lplummer52

Apr 19, 2016
Indialantic, FL
Parrots
"Birdie". Sun Conure
Unsalted, shelled sunflower seeds are like candy to a parrot. So training should be limited to 10 minutes or so a day because, like candy, it's really not good for them. Birdie will do somersaults for a sunflower seed.

OP
sherylb

sherylb

Jul 21, 2018
Media
Utah
Parrots
Kiwi the Quaker
Jack the IRN
Finley the BF Amazon
I've tried giving the sunflower seeds to him in the shell, he wants it but cannot crack the shell. I will have to get some of the ones already shelled! He likes pistaccios but only a bite and he's done, same with walnuts.

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
Bumble will train for almost anything, but commonly I use small seeds like millet or sesame seeds, or tiny bits of almonds or pine nuts if I’m trying to get her to do something new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Have you tried fresh fruit? Or millet?

If you use sunflower seeds, then you want to split it up into quarters at least... because the reward needs to be small! Same goes for anything else - reward for training needs to be tiny so they don't fill up on it.

Have you tried training before meal times? Maybe Kiwi just isn't hungry when you have tried?

Most Reactions

Latest posts