Clicker Training

birdiemomma

Dec 2, 2010
California
Parrots
My Hahn's Macaw Bella <3
Currently I am working on clicker training with Bella. I use a simple clicker (like one used for dogs, cats, etc.) and have been using the book "The Click That Does The Trick" by Robin Deutsch.

I started clicker training because Bella has so much energy and has a desire to learn new words, actions, etc. daily. So far she has absolutely LOVED every single second of training. After 10 clicks she knew to look at my other hand to give her the treat. I am hoping to train with her two-three times a day for 15 minutes each. I do not want to tire her out and I want for this to be a fun activity for her. I am not looking to train her a as a show bird or anything crazy but I just want for her to have some fun & variation in what we do so that she doesn't get bored!!!!! If she ever were to stop enjoying the training I would stop immediately, but for now as far as I can tell she loves it!!! Hopefully I can get her to stop being so camera shy so I can catch her on camera (the key might be to have the laptop open and do it from web cam :D.. She hasn't figured out there is a camera on Momma's computer yet :] )

Has anyone else here clicker trained their birds before?
Do you have any advice?
Anything I should look out for, etc?

Von1983

Banned
Banned
Sep 3, 2010
Media
Sounds like our Bella is having a blast! :D

I clicker trained 2 cockatiels once as I found it captured both their attention lol. It was effective for them for sure! They did not belong to me though, I just trained them. Therefore I only used it for basic reasons.

I decided not to use clicker with Cal purely because it made it easier to have verbal commands so that either Dave OR I could ask her to do something at any time.

I'm sure someone who has done more extensive clicker training will be able to chip in for you!

OP
birdiemomma

birdiemomma

Dec 2, 2010
California
Parrots
My Hahn's Macaw Bella <3
Sounds like our Bella is having a blast! :D

I clicker trained 2 cockatiels once as I found it captured both their attention lol. It was effective for them for sure! They did not belong to me though, I just trained them. Therefore I only used it for basic reasons.

I decided not to use clicker with Cal purely because it made it easier to have verbal commands so that either Dave OR I could ask her to do something at any time.

I'm sure someone who has done more extensive clicker training will be able to chip in for you!

Oh, trust me, she is. She stayed at my boyfriends house this weekend while I was out of town. Somehow, she was more spoiled than she is at home [I don't even know how that is possible :D].

I use a mix of verbal and clicker commands and she responds very well to both of them :D

She has been mimicking people like crazy and is starting to say "Pretty Bird!" . She is only muttering "Pretty Girl!" as of right now but it is still pretty dang cute :) She laughs at the funniest moments sometimes. For example, last night as we are praying for dinner I hear a "hahaha" in the background. She is too funny!

How is Cal doing?

Von1983

Banned
Banned
Sep 3, 2010
Media
LOL!

I think Bella and Cal must be distant relatives!!!

My mum rang me with some bad news about a neighbour back home and all we heard was Cal laughing her socks off.......

She's doing great, thankyou! She's snuggled against my neck just now making kissing noises lol. Time for bo bo's in a min though - we're an hour late tonight!

OP
birdiemomma

birdiemomma

Dec 2, 2010
California
Parrots
My Hahn's Macaw Bella <3
Awww :) Bella gives kisses as I am covering her cage. It is a last minute attempt for her to come out and play some more :D

Pionus

Feb 3, 2011
Media
snow covered Canada
Parrots
White-capped Pionus-9yrs & a Peachfaced Lovebird-2yrs (for now...)
I myself love the idea of clicker training. It works amazing on most animals and gives a distinct sound that helps in the training process. I have trained a lot of dogs using the clicker as well as my pionus and (attempted) to train my lovebird with it.

The dogs were all a fun success and one dog actually loved it so much she tried to invent her own tricks. (she would roll over when she became excited during training, without having been taught it. And of course I put it in her repitoire of tricks!)

My pionus resonded very well with the clicker. He loves his "training sessions" and learned to wave with his foot, turn around, lift his wings, kisses, and come here. All with the clicker. (might be one or two more but I can't remember at the moment)

Although he became so intuned with the clicker and treat he wouldn't always focus on me. I have started training without the clicker for a bit and substituted a dramatic reaction (more praise than before and more excited) when he does what I want. Although this might work fine because he isn't very excitable for a parrot so this doesn't stimulate him too too much.

On a side note: I haven't been able to train my lovebird with the clicker. Out of three different sessions, all she's taken from them is this: Now she imitates the clicker noise!! lol! :p

sorry, I ramble. I am very passionate about training animals and have done so my whole life (from dressing up my cats when playing dolls - to - having a dog trained to close doors on command and literally jump through hoops). ~~maybe I should be like Von and have a disclaimer in my siggy?~~

Any questions just ask. :D

Last edited:
OP
birdiemomma

birdiemomma

Dec 2, 2010
California
Parrots
My Hahn's Macaw Bella <3
I myself love the idea of clicker training. It works amazing on most animals and gives a distinct sound that helps in the training process. I have trained a lot of dogs using the clicker as well as my pionus and (attempted) to train my lovebird with it.

The dogs were all a fun success and one dog actually loved it so much she tried to invent her own tricks. (she would roll over when she became excited during training, without having been taught it. And of course I put it in her repitoire of tricks!)

My pionus resonded very well with the clicker. He loves his "training sessions" and learned to wave with his foot, turn around, lift his wings, kisses, and come here. All with the clicker. (might be one or two more but I can't remember at the moment)

Although he became so intuned with the clicker and treat he wouldn't always focus on me. I have started training without the clicker for a bit and substituted a dramatic reaction (more praise than before and more excited) when he does what I want. Although this might work fine because he isn't very excitable for a parrot so this doesn't stimulate him too too much.

On a side note: I haven't been able to train my lovebird with the clicker. Out of three different sessions, all she's taken from them is this: Now she imitates the clicker noise!! lol! :p

sorry, I ramble. I am very passionate about training animals and have done so my whole life (from dressing up my cats when playing dolls - to - having a dog trained to close doors on command and literally jump through hoops). ~~maybe I should be like Von and have a disclaimer in my siggy?~~

Any questions just ask. :D

So far she really likes it. I am running to the store tonight to pick up more treats for her. :D

Pionus

Feb 3, 2011
Media
snow covered Canada
Parrots
White-capped Pionus-9yrs & a Peachfaced Lovebird-2yrs (for now...)
She laughs at the funniest moments sometimes. For example, last night as we are praying for dinner I hear a "hahaha" in the background. She is too funny!

lol! Baby always laughs when someone tells a rude joke, and in that moment when everyone else in the room is torn between being offended or laughing... Baby laughs and gets everyone else laughing too. Silly bird :p He also seems to think it hilarious when someone runs into things... such as a door.

Most Reactions