clueless

buy the bird or buy a newly hatched cheaper 1?

• buy the petsmart conure wit the bond?

Votes: 7 63.6%
  • or buy a newly hatched thats cheaper?

Votes: 4 36.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tiffany.rose.w.23

Sep 20, 2013
Help i am clueless about birds. I went to petsmart wit my kids and we saw a bird that ithink was a conure. She was beautiful. Rite off the bat she had a connection wit my 8y/o son. He ut a finger on the glass the bird did the same over his. She eagerly signalled for him to pet her. Peraonally i have had bad ezperiences wit birds but she even won me over when i asked her "u arent so bad r u?" And she nodded yes. After loooking around i am tryin to figure out if i should get her immediately or wait and by a newly hatched at a cheaper cost.

My questions r: is this a common first time experience? Is this bird my sons match and i should act quickly? Is it possible that was their bonding experience and she is the best 1 for him?

Considering a new family member

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Since you guys already made the connection with the one at the store, then go for it. But the choice is up to you guys. Yes the babies can be sweet too but is it one that's going to win you over as well?

Kinny

Jul 26, 2013
Media
South Australia
Parrots
1 male Cockatiel
Help i am clueless about birds. I went to petsmart wit my kids and we saw a bird that ithink was a conure. She was beautiful. Rite off the bat she had a connection wit my 8y/o son. He ut a finger on the glass the bird did the same over his. She eagerly signalled for him to pet her. Peraonally i have had bad ezperiences wit birds but she even won me over when i asked her "u arent so bad r u?" And she nodded yes. After loooking around i am tryin to figure out if i should get her immediately or wait and by a newly hatched at a cheaper cost.

My questions r: is this a common first time experience? Is this bird my sons match and i should act quickly? Is it possible that was their bonding experience and she is the best 1 for him?

Considering a new family member

Since you guys already made the connection with the one at the store, then go for it. But the choice is up to you guys. Yes the babies can be sweet too but is it one that's going to win you over as well?

Exactly what Mikey says. If there has already been a connection, I'd go for that bird. It has happened to me, and I'm sure plenty of other people too. But if and once it does happen, you don't want just another bird! It's very special when a bird bonds with a member of your family! :)

If you do end up getting the bird, I'd get it quickly. As some one else may go "Ooooh pretty bird!" and buy it. If it was their bonding experience, it's only the beginning. :) Bonds can get much, much stronger as time goes by.

Jayyj

Apr 28, 2013
UK
Parrots
Alice - Galah cockatoo
Since you mentioned the newly hatched bird as cheaper, it's worth doing a little research on buying a baby - primarily whether the bird has been weaned and whether it has been hand reared or aviary bred. There's a thread on buying unweaned birds here: http://www.parrotforums.com/general-parrot-information/19049-hazards-buying-unweaned-baby.html. I don't know what Petsmart's prices are like, but I suspect going direct to a breeder would be cheaper, just beware a very cheap price - it may not be the bargain it appears. If you're buying a youngster, you must buy a weaned bird, and hand reared would be much better.

My vote would be if you feel a bond with a particular bird, then that's probably the best way forward. Make sure you do plenty of reading up first so that you're sure what's involved, but, but a conure could be a great companion for you and your son!

Most Reactions

Latest posts