cockatiel hormonal behaviour

flexy

Dec 11, 2018
my cockatiel is 4 years old. the problem is he wants attention 7/24 he doesnt stop screaming until I get him out of his cage and turn my head to him. I actually spend enough time with him out of his cage. but once he goes back into cage he looks very unhappy. and he likes to rub his genital area to a piece of cloth sort of like masturbating. and when he finished he looks happy. Im wondering if this behaviour is normal or not.

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
Yes, this is hormonal behavior.

Question, when you play with him and handle him do you stroke along his back, under his wings or anything like that? This can stimulate them sexually and it is always advised to ONLY PET THE NECK AN HEAD AREA when they reach maturity. They will become frustrated when left with no stimulation and as you have guessed have to do it on their own. It is not healthy mentally or physically for them to be pet like this, not sure if you are but its a mistake a LOT of people make and then wonder why their bird is so frustrated sounding...

Does he have a play stand on his cage that he hangs out on while not with you? What does his cage look like? What do you do when he's out of the cage with you? What sort of interaction and training do you do with him?

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Yes, this sounds hormonal.
Head and neck pets only.
10-14 hours of solid sleep = essential to hormonal regulation.
No boxes, snuggle huts, tends, shadowy spaces, under-shirt access, blankets, pillows, low-furniture etc.
Avoid warm mushy foods.
Avoid responding to screaming (never return while it is happening--start with at least a 5 minute continuous silence threshold before returning).

OP
F

flexy

Dec 11, 2018
your first question: whenever I take him onto my hand I use piece of clothing because if I dont cover my hand with clothing he slips from my hand he doesnt like standing on a human skin, whenever he gets onto my hand he tries to find the right spot sort of like a bulge for his genital area. I have thought about doing this is wrong for the bird but if he doesnt masturbate for a while he feels very energetic and extra aggressive its like he really wants to do it. but now I realize it was mistake that I encourage him. other than that I havent seen him doing it alone.

cage is not so small not so big. he has few toys in his cage that mostly he doesnt like to interact with. sometimes he bites his mirror edge aggressivly sort of like he begs to come out.

When he is out of cage he likes to walk on the floor explore the surroundings he tries to understand materials around him with biting and he looks very happy doing that.

once a day he sings the melody I taught him when he was little for about 3 minutes straight. he likes to interact with the small mirror I have and he fly to the points I command

Last edited:

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
once a day he sings the melody I taught him when he was little for about 3 minutes straight. he likes to interact with the small mirror I have and he fly to the points I command

Mirrors can also trigger hormonal behavior.
Make sure he has plenty of time out of his cage and plenty to keep him busy while inside.

Ashckroft

Apr 14, 2019
my cockatiel is 4 years old. the problem is he wants attention 7/24 he doesnt stop screaming until I get him out of his cage and turn my head to him. I actually spend enough time with him out of his cage. but once he goes back into cage he looks very unhappy. and he likes to rub his genital area to a piece of cloth sort of like masturbating. and when he finished he looks happy. Im wondering if this behaviour is normal or not.

Mine is screaming and biting his cage at the moment.I think it goes the same way.
[ame="https://youtu.be/K3oxmdgzT6g"]https://youtu.be/K3oxmdgzT6g[/ame]

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts