Cockatiel seed mixes

SimplyBirdLover

Nov 15, 2017
Hello, I was wandering if the safflower gold seed mix, by Higgans is bad for my 'tiel? I have had him for a little while now and this is what the breeder had him on so this is what I have kept him on it until he is settled in. I was wandering if its bad for him though? It has added vitamins and I have heard that, that isn't good for parrots. This may seem like I dumb question to have but I figured I would ask anyways because this way I will know if I should switch him to something soon or if I can give him a little more time. I am currently using the Dr. Harvey's Colossal seed mix and I mix that half and half with Harrison's and on some days Zupreem naturals for my other cockatiel and its the same for my budgies except I use the Dr. Harvey's parakeet seed mix.
Thanks in advance!:yellow1:

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
My usual suggestions. :)
Harrison's Bird Foods
I feed Harrison's, supplemented by fresh healthy treats. My first, and later, my current avian vet recommended it. My bird loves the pellets now, but to get him converted, my avian vet suggested putting pellets out all day, and putting seeds (his old diet) out for two 15-minute periods a day. That would sustain him but leave him hungry enough to try new stuff. I presume the same technique could be used to get him to eat other healthy stuff. My guy was eating pellets in a couple of days, and now I can feed a good variety of other stuff, knowing he has the pellets as a basic. Pellets are out all day... fresh treats a few times a day. I also like Harrison's via mail because I never have to worry about out-of-date products. :) he gets seeds rarely these days, but regular healthy nuts like pecans and almonds.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Seeds - Goldenfeast or Golden Fourmet mixed with Kaylor of Colorado Sweet Harvest

Pellets - Harrison's (typically)

Other - Sprouts, vegetables, some fruits

My little birds weren't typically big fans of safflower seeds, so I usually chose mixes with little to no safflower seeds in them. Wouldn't necessarily be an issue now, but it's what I've fed or done.

Most seed mixes are fortified because seeds alone are not healthy. Even being fortified, they still are not a complete diet - which is why it's necessary to feed them a varied diet.

Most Reactions