Cockatiel that is TERRIFIED of hands !

ayahllm

Sep 11, 2023
Parrots
Cockatiel
Heyy ! So a bit over 4 months ago I adopted a cockatiel, and he used to be super aggressive when he even saw me, but now it's better.
He will have treats from my hands, step up onto my fingers using millet and was just target trained.
However, if i approach my hand with no treats he will attack it.
Any tips ? (I know he had a horrible experience with hands in his old household)

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Welcome to the forums!

It sounds like you’re making good progress with him already! I’d say he just needs more time, keep offering your hands with treats around.
Taking your time is the most important thing and it sounds like offering your hand with a treat is too fast a pace for him.

Good luck with your tiel! And, on this forum, we love pictures 😊

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Yes, I think you are doing great.
I had a female Tiel (pinky) scared of hands.
It took me 2 years for her to step up.

OP
ayahllm

ayahllm

Sep 11, 2023
Parrots
Cockatiel
@zERo
Offering my hand is okay for him he easily eats from my hands, but if i offer my hand with no treat he attacks it :')

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
Heyy ! So a bit over 4 months ago I adopted a cockatiel, and he used to be super aggressive when he even saw me, but now it's better.
He will have treats from my hands, step up onto my fingers using millet and was just target trained.
However, if i approach my hand with no treats he will attack it.
Any tips ? (I know he had a horrible experience with hands in his old household)
Your doing the right thing by feeding it from your hand. Patience my friend. We have to go at their pace. Keep feeding it from your hand and hopefully one day it will accept you and the hand. No guarantees but especially if it's had a bad experience with hands

Most Reactions

Latest posts