Cockatiels are Cockatoos Too

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
There has long been discussion and debate on whether or not the cockatiel is part of the cockatoo family.

imagdhjkes.jpeg-1.jpg

Two male cockatiels in the wild

A couple of decades ago the taxonomical classification of the cockatiel was not linked to the cockatoo. I have always been in disagreement with this but they have changed it now and added the cockatiel to the cockatoo family, Cacatuidae, in which there are 21 species.

Calyptorhynchus_funereus_(male)_-Wamboin-8.jpg

The yellow tail black cockatoo has cheek patches that resemble the cockatiels

The tiels main difference is its size, much smaller than the other cockatoos. It's got a long pointy tail which makes it a parakeet as well.
It's main similarity is its unique crest. Other birds have crests but can't move and control them like cockys. The tiels cheek patches are reminiscent of the cheek patches among some of the large cockatoo species like the palm and yellow tail. The tiels head and face resembles a cockatoo.

imagfhfdhes.jpeg-1.jpg

The sulphur crested cockatoo has a crest like the cockatiels and lightly coloured cheeks as well

So then scientifically speaking cockatiels are cockatoos too 🙂

Sources
And a book on Australian birds that my sister got me for Xmas. Very thoughtful of her

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
I’ve never given much thought to the science behind classification, but to me cockatiels just LOOK like little cockatoos 😁.

OP
Free as a bird

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
I’ve never given much thought to the science behind classification, but to me cockatiels just LOOK like little cockatoos 😁.
Me TOO... 🙂
"The science" behind classifications is just a bunch of "scientists" debating the features of animals. They ain't as smart as they think they are, if they were then they wouldn't be wrong all the time

Aquatic7

Jan 4, 2024
Parrots
Zeus the Bearded Dragon (I dont have a parrot ): )
Me TOO... 🙂
"The science" behind classifications is just a bunch of "scientists" debating the features of animals. They ain't as smart as they think they are, if they were then they wouldn't be wrong all the time
Not entirely true, they have methods, such as genetic similarities, similarities of structures, tracing common ancestors, ETC.
Either way... Cockatilese are indeed Cockatoos and I love them <3

OP
Free as a bird

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
Not entirely true, they have methods, such as genetic similarities, similarities of structures, tracing common ancestors, ETC.
Either way... Cockatilese are indeed Cockatoos and I love them <3
True they have their methods but their sometimes wrong as they were here...
Tiels R Toos toos and I love them Too 🥰👍

OP
Free as a bird

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
Here are the 21 members of the cockatoo family. Some are known by other names as well but the names used here are very common.
Enjoy 🙂

Screenshot_20240106-173013_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20240106-172946_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20240106-172925_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20240106-172841_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20240106-172820_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20240106-172747_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20240106-172732_Samsung Internet.jpg

Most Reactions

Latest posts