What should I do to help prepare my cockatiel lay an egg?

Rosalindagg

Sep 19, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel, Conure, Parakeets
I’m pretty sure my cockatiel is getting ready to lay an egg soon. She’s showing all the symptoms from when she layed an unfertilized egg in May. My question is should I let her be nesty or discourage it? She doesn’t have a nest but she’s nesty in the corner & has started to shred her toys more.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I’m pretty sure my cockatiel is getting ready to lay an egg soon. She’s showing all the symptoms from when she layed an unfertilized egg in May. My question is should I let her be nesty or discourage it? She doesn’t have a nest but she’s nesty in the corner & has started to shred her toys more.
First, how positive are you that her egg (will be infertile. No other tiels at all would be posiyibe.if you add a next box that would make great feel uch more comfortable but if they can't be fertile it's no necessary as yout probably know it is very common for females to do this. However is is potentially life threatening if the egg get stuck an she can't pass it. Her blood calcium would drop rapidly she would weaken and die a painful death from egg binding. It has vitamin D and Calcium that when given straight orally reverses the problem and saves her life.its called CalciVite to me it critical assurance during a potentially dangerous situation

OP
Rosalindagg

Rosalindagg

Sep 19, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel, Conure, Parakeets
First, how positive are you that her egg (will be infertile. No other tiels at all would be posiyibe.if you add a next box that would make great feel uch more comfortable but if they can't be fertile it's no necessary as yout probably know it is very common for females to do this. However is is potentially life threatening if the egg get stuck a she can't pass it. Her blood calcium would drop rapidly she would weaken and die a painful death from egg binding. It has vitamin D and Calcium that when given straight orally reverses the problem and saves her life.its called CalciVite to me it critical assurance during a potentially dangerous situation
I woke up to an egg! Sushi had no interest. I will probably cook it for her

Most Reactions

Latest posts