cockatoo parts on Etsy..*warning*

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
This is seriously disturbing ..I am not happy...

messed up...If the birds died naturally, that is one thing...but...this is ESTY!!!

I understand that some religions utilize parrot feathers, but this is unacceptable without explanation...on Etsy?!

feel free to investigate:

(**Mod Edit: Please be warned, link contains graphic images**)

https://www.etsy.com/listing/746713...lisman-bird-foot?ref=search_recently_viewed-2

Last edited by a moderator:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
ughhh.....your warning was strong enough!! Yikes wish my eyes had never seen that!!!
Tho Etsy sells stuffed real parrots too creepy.....just WHY

OP
N

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
It makes me very mad because they do not explain where they came from....??? Hoping it wasn't some poor bird from a rescue...or a random wild one that they just killed! The snake bones on top of the foot just make me very uneasy...I am not sure how this is legal when U2s are a protected species to some extent...I guess it could be a sulfur crested, but I am pretty sure you can't kill them without special permission either.

The 2nd image is an offshoot of the first and is affiliated with "Berkano Designs"..Google that if you are interested...."Berkano" refers to a rune...it means "birch goddess"... This does not appear to be affiliated with any permitted/protected religious group...

Last edited:

ParrotGenie

Jan 10, 2019
Indiana
Parrots
2 umbrella Cockatoos One male named Cooper and female named Baby 1 Little Corella male named Frankie and have 5 Cockatiels three named Male named Pepper, Fiesco for the female and female named Wylie.
That sickening. She selling parts for Witchcraft? I hope it wasn’t a living bird killed for parts so they could profit? I wish I didn’t see this. I ask her the story behind the cockatoo, hopefully I get a response. Umbrella cockatoo are a protected species Endangered Species Act since 2014 as listed as a endangered species she can get into some trouble. Seeing she sold parts for a pink feather parrots as well and some parts back in 2019. I don’t have a good feeling about this one.

Last edited:
OP
N

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
I know it is awful-- I feel the same way, but not seeing doesn't make it go away. The only reason I posted was because I hoped that collective action might dissuade Etsy...It is seriously awful!
I was looking for holiday gifts for my family when this popped up! Imagine...

It's even more disturbing when you look at past sales and all of the customer reviews....same stuff...

Last edited:
OP
N

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Then she needs to define "ethical" ---how in the world is that the case when we are referring to protected animals....I want proof...To me, this is like selling rhino horns...or ivory

Last edited:

bug_n_flock

Jan 2, 2018
Isolated Holler in the Appalachian Wilderness
Parrots
B&G Macaw, Galah, 5 cockatiels, 50 billion and a half budgies. We breed and do rescue. Too many to list each individual's name and age etc, but they are each individuals and loved dearly.
IDK... if it was someone's pet who died of natural causes I don't see an issue with this necessarily. Would I buy it? No. Would I do parrot taxidermy like this? No. But, I would do similar taxidermy of non parrots and sell it(I have sold fetal guinea pig wet mount and mummy taxidermy... from stillborn pups only, etc but all always was natural causes expired). I do taxidermy stuff now, and have for years. A lot of taxidermy is sold on etsy, too. As long as there was no cruelty, deciet, or etc I don't see a major problem here. Now, if the bird was killed for this that is another matter entirely. I also don't know the legality of selling taxidermied protected species, so if it is illegal that obviously would shift my opinion on the matter.

Shrug, probably not a popular opinion, but I think an animal is not the meat suit they wear. Once the spark of life has departed, what remains is not what once was....

bug_n_flock

Jan 2, 2018
Parrots
B&G Macaw, Galah, 5 cockatiels, 50 billion and a half budgies. We breed and do rescue. Too many to list each individual's name and age etc, but they are each individuals and loved dearly.
As far as other birds previously sold, it is also possible that people have donated or sold the already dead birds to this person. That happens pretty commonly in taxidermy. I have had people give me their dead of natural causes pet snakes before.

Just playing Devil's advocate. We have no evidence of wrongdoing as yet. Give the person a chance to message back and explain themself before judging them guilty of killing and parting out an endangered species for witchcraft. The seller looks like some sort of wannabe "native american shaman" to me. Shrug

OP
N

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
As far as other birds previously sold, it is also possible that people have donated or sold the already dead birds to this person. That happens pretty commonly in taxidermy. I have had people give me their dead of natural causes pet snakes before.

Just playing Devil's advocate. We have no evidence of wrongdoing as yet. Give the person a chance to message back and explain themself before judging them guilty of killing and parting out an endangered species for witchcraft. The seller looks like some sort of wannabe "native american shaman" to me. Shrug

I think he references witch craft because she sells "witch balls" and because of the runes reference in the user's name. My thing is, it shouldn't be legal to profit off of the body parts of protected animals-- even if they are obtained ethically, because then there could be an incentive to obtain more..and more...I am not saying she is killing these birds, but even if someone has a "culling" permit, this seems to incentivize more culling...It's more about the big picture for me...Even if it's 100% allowed, it shouldn't be, because then people could be like "whoops.. this one "died" in my yard... and this one...and this one ($$$). I'm sure that the people providing these parts are getting compensated for them to some extent...

I know taxidermy is all over, and I agree with part of what you are saying, but again, I am thought it was illegal to buy or stuff endangered animal taxidermy without some sort of special purpose for doing so (like working in wildlife education or something)... Unless they were preserved years ago and qualify as antique or vintage. If it were a deer or a rabbit, it would be far less disturbing due to the differences in their protection statuses.

In parts of Australia, people kill sulfur crested for messing with their property etc. Some do so legally (applying for a permit), but others do not-- they can be very destructive and they are difficult to trick/keep away, so people plosion them, shoot them etc. My concern is, if someone is allowed to sell the parts of an endangered animal (no matter how it died) what message does that send to others who might be looking to turn a quick profit?

Last edited:

ParrotGenie

Jan 10, 2019
Indiana
Parrots
2 umbrella Cockatoos One male named Cooper and female named Baby 1 Little Corella male named Frankie and have 5 Cockatiels three named Male named Pepper, Fiesco for the female and female named Wylie.
I talk to the the seller and she told me that the bird was found dead on the side of the road, been hit by a car? That what she means by “All items made in conversation with the ancestors. Items are ethically sourced in nature so there is limited stock on each item”. People do buy this stuff for luck and etc.

I do believe her as seem like a nice lady and didn’t mind messages, or talking, plus she told me she live in Australia. Likely wasn’t even a U2 as could have been a “Sulphur-crested cockatoo“, as they are common over there. Yes dead ones are found quite a bit over there, due to various reasons.

As much as it disturbing to some. People do buy this stuff for legitimate reasons, as mostly for good luck and etc. Even if it for witchcraft, who am I to judge their beliefs? It is like people that buy the taxidermy stuff animals, as they have their own personal beliefs, or was a pet that past on? I have a large dreamweaver and a old Native American rattle. Nothing wrong with people using materials to make tools, or symbols using dead animals parts, so long it was actually dead beforehand and not killed for that reason.

Last edited:
OP
N

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Like I said- no issue with the religious aspects. I am more concerned about the message this sends to people who might also might want to make money off of similar creations. It's not so much about the seller individually, but more about the policy that allows this to go on in a marketplace.

I am glad she explained and was nice. I just don't think Etsy should be allowing this, given their conservation status.
I don't care if people are into taxidermy, but if an animal is protected, I thought it was prohibited to use their parts in a for-profit situation.

Additionally, I was blind-sided by these when looking for gifts for my family, so you can imagine why my initial reaction was anything but calm.

Last edited:

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
Parrotgenie Thank You So Much for that information!

I couldn't resist myself from clicking on this thread yesterday and of course the pics troubled me. BUT your explanation reminds me of an acquaintance some time back (roommate of a good friend), who had moved from here from somewhere in the Southwest. And his hobby, of which he was quite proud and [apparently] quite skilled, was creating art from skeletons - well bones i guess - and mostly skulls, uggh -- of antelope. Which as I understand were just sourced from, like, these skeletons/skulls found in desert areas?

Anyway I found it quite off-putting, but, I guess it's a thing. So, with these items, Your Explanation (for which again, I am VERY GRATEFUL!!) - combined with knowing that others make actual valid real "art" (or whatever it is... "handicrafts," maybe?) with - errmm -- Leftover body parts from other magnificent creatures - well, to me it's still quite very off-putting, but definitely Far Less Distressing.

So thank you again ParrotGenie for getting that explanation for us!!

FrancisMom

Nov 4, 2018
Greensboro, NC
Parrots
U2 - Francis "Francie"
Sounds like we need to call for an investigation by some body of authority. Is there a national level humane society or bird society that would be able to launch an investigation?

bug_n_flock

Jan 2, 2018
Parrots
As far as this being a potential way for evil doers to make a "quick profit", I just don't see it. A cockatoo is worth more alive than parted out for 50$ here or 100$ there. Plus, these items took time, materials, skill, and experience to make. I just don't see this as a way to make quick cash. Even making wet mounts takes time, skill, materials, and some level of hazmat awareness(use of formalin). I don't really turn much of a profit when I sell taxidermy, and I doubt this seller does either. Shrug.

I understand being upset after stumbling on this. Many listings have the first photo as a graphic images warning, and I personally think all such listings should have some sort of a warning.

I think it is just fine for folks to sell their taxidermic pieces on Etsy. It is a craft just like any other. And as with all such crafts done on a small scale, it is very hard to find ways to sell it. Taxidermy especially so, because it is sensative stuff. I've had listings reported and taken off of eBay because pet owners found the listings and got offended. My listings all always give the specific story of the individual animal, and pet owners still get upset over stillborn animals offered for sale as taxadermy.

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
The difference between taxidermy and this is that taxidermy specimens have had preservatives infused into them. These things are just the 'raw' body parts! I bet they stink! :22_yikes:

HEEDLESS

Supporting Member
Nov 9, 2018
Media
US
Parrots
Eclectus: SI. Vosmaeri
"KISE" She was born in Jan, 2018.
"Akashi" He hatched 07/13/2021.

ParrotGenie/bug_n_flock

I agree with what both of you said. I am not offending anyone. I just love that wing that made. I will love that TOO's soul and wish it has a good/wonderful life at the parrot heaven.. I think it is too beautiful. As for me... If Kise is dead and if I can find someone to to thing to make her feathers like that, I would do so..

People love what they love!!!

Thanks. I can't help it but have to get that wing.

Noahs_Birds

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 24, 2019
Toowoomba/Highfields, QLD, Australia
Parrots
Yellow Sided GCC's, Rosa Bourkes Parrots, Full Red Fronted Turqoisine Parrots, Quaker Parrots 'Scomo PM' 'Jenny PM's wife', PLUS: Rare Finches, Doves and Quail
As far as this being a potential way for evil doers to make a "quick profit", I just don't see it. A cockatoo is worth more alive than parted out for 50$ here or 100$ there. Plus, these items took time, materials, skill, and experience to make. I just don't see this as a way to make quick cash.

Agreed. I've seen people make a few things here and there entirely not for profit, they mainly just seem to be 'points of interest pieces' and the majority of the time don't get sold.

Personally when I go out Kangaroo shooting we sometimes make back scratchers out of the arms as a novelty items for mates by sitting them in a Borax and petrol solution that removes all the moisture and sets them hard as a rock and never smell (which more than likely the cockatoo part sellers practiced the same thing).

I quite enjoy seeing a well taxedermied animal that has been obtained ethically, as they make extremely great educational pieces and many of the 'older generation' bird breeders I have visited have collections of weird and wonderful birds they have kept in the past and got them stuffed for educational purposes.

Anyway, as long as it hasn't been shot out of a tree without permit or poisoned I don't have any problems with it.

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
Noah's Birds, that's... not... Russell Coight I see in your post is it? :D :D :D

Most Reactions

Latest posts