Cody lunging at my sister's face!

GreenCheek

Aug 27, 2009
Baltimore, Maryland
Parrots
1 Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure: Cody <3
Ok, I have an issue here. Cody has always been semi-temperamental, being a green cheek and all, lol, but now it's getting pretty bad. He is being very moody and stand offish, not really wanting much interaction with me. He keeps going to everyone else mind you (especially my brother who he's got this new obsession with. I'm serious, it gets creepy!), but he just doesn't want much to do with me, and will just keep biting me while making chattering noises if I try to give him any affection, or even just ask for a step up. About a week ago, my sister picked him up and he flew to her shoulder, and we both saw what we thought was him lunging at her face. We kind of brushed it off, as he could have been trying to preen and maybe fell or something. But just in case, I took him and he didn't go back to her. Well, tonight he flew on my sister, and again hopped on her shoulder, lunged, and bit her in the cheek! Why is he doing this? It's only my sister he's lunging at like this. And he won't bother any of part of her body, he's just after her face. :( I would absolutely hate to clip him, I'm really not a fan of it, and am thrilled that he loves to fly! But if he keeps doing this, then I don't see much of a choice, he can't be biting my family members in the face. :eek: Anything else I could try to try and stop this?

wildheart

Banned
Banned
Mar 16, 2010
South Africa
No experience with a green cheek but I do know how it feels to be bitten in the face.
unsure.gif

My parrot started out by biting one person in the face and with in a matter of days she started flying for every bodies heads and bit everybody in the face. We could not take her out of the cage at all.:(

The vet recommended that we must clip and we did, she changed 100% after that.

From what I have read it sounds hormonal, but it is strange that he does not want attention from you and you are his prime caregiver?

I am sorry about your situation.
4xvim2p.gif

OP
GreenCheek

GreenCheek

Aug 27, 2009
Baltimore, Maryland
Parrots
Yeah, I'm his primary (only really) care giver, and if it's just him and I hanging out, we're fine. But when others are in the room, 2 out of the 3 who never fool with him, he keeps flying to them, and wants nothing to do with me. Then of course the other person in the room is my sister who he's biting. I guess I'll just give it a little time and see how he does. If he keeps doing it, I'll have to clip him.

bogo1

Jun 22, 2010
Media
Albums
Missouri
Parrots
Sam (GCC)
Gem (CBC)
Merry and Teechka (parakeets)
and non FIDS:
Harvey and Jed (dogs) Jolte and Churney (cats) Twister and Mac (horses) Nikolas and Aleksndr (ducks )
This is just one opinion but I would ask you to consider your options. It is crucial for Cody and your family that the present behavior be ended immediately. One option is to keep Cody in cage but that solves nothing. Clipping may not appeal to you and many think it wrong, but it would allow you to increase safety for Cody and your family. Wings grow out. Flight returns. In the non-flight period there are many things you and Cody can share to strengthen your relationship and trust. Others will offer advice that may differ and you should consider it too. I personally find clipping a tool that is temporary, increases safety for bird and family and speeds up bonding if paired with steady teaching /learning relationship.
Barbara

Bobby34231

Jun 25, 2010
Media
Albums
Sarasota,Florida
Parrots
Quincy - Blue Throated Macaw, Skittles and Dusty - Rose Breasted Too's,
Joey - Yellow Crown Amazon, Ashley - CAG
Hey GC, sorry to hear of the problem your having with Cody, its one of the main reasons I don't allow my birds on my shoulder or heard, I sure hope you can correct the problem without having to clip him, I know how strongly you feel against it :31:, Keep The faith kiddo ;)

Quantumcat

Feb 21, 2010
Media
Bathurst, NSW
Parrots
One Eclectus, Scarlett
Does she wear any makeup or perfume? Maybe there is a chemical in something she's wearing that he really likes or really doesn't like.

Also I was told by my vet that you shouldn't let a bird on your shoulder until you've asked it to go there - by being high up the bird feels like the boss and is demonstrating their superiority over you. He might have some dominance issues.

OP
GreenCheek

GreenCheek

Aug 27, 2009
Baltimore, Maryland
Parrots
Well, he hasn't done it since, but the only place he's been on my sister since it happened last was on her knee. And we don't let him on shoulders, I don't like or allow that. But since he's flighted, if he decides to, he can very easily fly up there. I'm thinking it's not going to become a huge problem, but I'm still going to really keep an eye on it.

And I thought the dominance thing was a myth? Does anyone actually have any research to back it up either way?

Most Reactions