Cognitive speech

Quantumcat

Feb 21, 2010
Media
Bathurst, NSW
Parrots
One Eclectus, Scarlett
Has anyone managed to get their parrots to speak cognitively?

My eclectus, Scarlett, is very good at coming to me when I make a certain whistle and hold up my forearm, and the other day she made that same whistle, I came to her (she was on top of the cage), and saw she had somehow knocked her water bowl off the side of the cage. Was she thirsty and wanted me to come and fix the bowl? She might have just been making noise because she makes the whistle when making a stream of her various whistles and words. I hope she meant it as, 'come here please'!

HRH Di

Jan 9, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
Max - Alexandrine, Jade - Red-Front Macaw, Ruby - CAG
Many parrot guardians report that their parrots speak cognitively. From Antionette's posts, I belive it's true for her CAG Mishka. From my limited experience with our birds, I definitely think it's possible.

Our Max doesn't talk, however, when he's in his cage and wants something, he's learned to do our the same whine our dogs do when they're begging.

Jade, on the other hand, has suddenly started talking a bit. She says "Wow" when she sees my husband or me. And the other day when I was holding her, she did something she knew she wasn't supposed to do and said "No".

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
The parrot Alex was an example. Teaching by association (observation of the human flock) is the usual way to obtain cognative speach from a parrot. Rosie is still on the slow side at picking up words. I am thinking it may be because it is only me in the flock.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
The parrot Alex was an example. Teaching by association (observation of the human flock) is the usual way to obtain cognative speach from a parrot. Rosie is still on the slow side at picking up words. I am thinking it may be because it is only me in the flock.

SB I am a chatterbox 24/7 seriously....... Luckily Mishka takes after me. :rolleyes:
My sons mumble the odd word to her here and there.
When I say we chat all day, I mean all day. Even if I am in my office working (Mishka's forbidden entry....... because of dried fruit and nut business), we still chat, even though we are in different rooms.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Has anyone managed to get their parrots to speak cognitively?

My eclectus, Scarlett, is very good at coming to me when I make a certain whistle and hold up my forearm, and the other day she made that same whistle, I came to her (she was on top of the cage), and saw she had somehow knocked her water bowl off the side of the cage. Was she thirsty and wanted me to come and fix the bowl? She might have just been making noise because she makes the whistle when making a stream of her various whistles and words. I hope she meant it as, 'come here please'!

Of course they understand us, we must never underestimate them. :eek:

Below is a great link, audio clip and cell recording of me asking Mishka questions. She understands and replies correctly.

Their ability to talk, and understand what they are saying is absolutely amazing. :D

Mishka Answering Questions Video by Antoinette - MySpace Video

cnyguy

Apr 23, 2010
Syracuse, NY
Parrots
Quaker parrot, Ralph
Parrots will often learn on their own to associate certain words with certain actions. My old Amazon George did so with several words. For example, if I said "time to go to bed," he'd climb right up to his sleeping perch. If I asked him to bark like a dog, he would bark (if he was in the mood, that is). They can be taught cognitive speech too-- Alex, Dr. Irene Pepperberg's well-known African Grey, is the ideal example. Her book Alex and Me is a great read, and explains the methods she used to teach cognitive speech to Alex.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Below is a fantastic link pertaining to cognitive speech, where you can click and listen to them talking...... mind blowing :D

Their ability to talk, and understand what they are saying is absolutely amazing

index.html

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
I know that about the size. When I see people handling the big birds I cringe. We are so used to the medium sized ones. I held a conure a few times and they felt weightless.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
I know that about the size. When I see people handling the big birds I cringe. We are so used to the medium sized ones. I held a conure a few times and they felt weightless.

Are AG medium sized birds then? Mishka only weighs 450 grams. :eek:
I don't think I would manage a bigger bird, because of the problem with my right hand. Yet I only handle Mishka, with my right hand.

HRH Di

Jan 9, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
Max - Alexandrine, Jade - Red-Front Macaw, Ruby - CAG
The breeder we got Jade from and who's currently hand-raising Ruby, has a scarlet, green-wing and an "undersized" Hyacinth. The scarlet and green-wing seeme huge to me and I couldn't image what I'd do if one of them got out of control. Then we met the Hyacinth. She's got some health problems so is a little nervous and shy. I've held her on my arm an was surprised at how heavy she is. She's lovely, though.

Jade is a good size...about 500 grams...so about the same size as a CAG.

Most Reactions

Latest posts