Collars?

SpicyBeak

Jun 22, 2023
Parrots
2 GCCs
Has anyone tried a collar on a small (green cheek) conure to prevent plucking? Did it help? Did the plucking start again later?

I've been avoiding trying one because I don't want to upset my bird, but I've run out of ideas. My 12-year-old female green cheek is healthy, has another conure friend, eats well, has foraging and toys and tons of outdoor time, gets regular vet visits, etc. She started plucking her chest in the night a year ago and it's spreading. I've tried lupron, aloe spray, humidity, removing the hut, adding more shreddables, removing shreddables, changing wakeup time, and moving her cage. Nothing worked :(

It's so stressful. I feel like a bad parent.

Edit: I've been consulting with an avian vet a lot, and we've done what we can to rule out physical issues - though it's always possible there's something we've missed!

Last edited:
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
Has anyone tried a collar on a small (green cheek) conure to prevent plucking? Did it help? Did the plucking start again later?

I've been avoiding trying one because I don't want to upset my bird, but I've run out of ideas. My 12-year-old female green cheek is healthy, has another conure friend, eats well, has foraging and toys and tons of outdoor time, gets regular vet visits, etc. She started plucking her chest in the night a year ago and it's spreading. I've tried lupron, aloe spray, humidity, removing the hut, adding more shreddables, removing shreddables, changing wakeup time, and moving her cage. Nothing worked :(

It's so stressful. I feel like a bad parent.
I have heard people make collars for as small as budgies, but have never tried any. Maybe ask your vet what they think. I believe there are collars that allow then to still fly. Likely she will be upset at first, but I have seen a lot of birds tolerate it fairly quickly.

Edit: Some people would only use collars for mutilation, but it's up to you and your vet. I wouldn't recommend a full collar if it's somewhat mild, just a small collar. that allows more freedom of movement.

Edit 2: I would definitely go to your vet to rule out physical causes.

Last edited:
OP
SpicyBeak

SpicyBeak

Jun 22, 2023
Parrots
2 GCCs
I have heard people make collars for as small as budgies, but have never tried any. Maybe ask your vet what they think. I believe there are collars that allow then to still fly. Likely she will be upset at first, but I have seen a lot of birds tolerate it fairly quickly.

Edit: Some people would only use collars for mutilation, but it's up to you and your vet. I wouldn't recommend a full collar if it's somewhat mild, just a small collar. that allows more freedom of movement.

Edit 2: I would definitely go to your vet to rule out physical causes.
Thanks so much! I do have a great vet, and she's been guiding me along the way. She's on the fence about the collar. She's ruled out mites and other basic things, but unfortunately my bird passes out with blood draws, so we've only been able to take a nail blood sample (it looked normal).

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
I do have a parrot who participates in feather destruction, and previously self mutilation. There are physical, and mental causes in his case. How well a collar will work will depend on the parrot, and if they are tolerant of a collar. Some parrots will just lift up the collar, and still get to their tail feathers. I would say a collar has helped my parrot, or makes it more challenging for him to feather pluck.

I would recommend consulting with a vet prior to collaring any parrot.

OP
SpicyBeak

SpicyBeak

Jun 22, 2023
Parrots
2 GCCs
I do have a parrot who participates in feather destruction, and previously self mutilation. There are physical, and mental causes in his case. How well a collar will work will depend on the parrot, and if they are tolerant of a collar. Some parrots will just lift up the collar, and still get to their tail feathers. I would say a collar has helped my parrot, or makes it more challenging for him to feather pluck.

I would recommend consulting with a vet prior to collaring any parrot.
Ah thank you. Yes I've consulted with my vet, and she thinks it will help but it may only be a temporary fix. Can I ask what the physical causes were?

OP
SpicyBeak

SpicyBeak

Jun 22, 2023
Parrots
2 GCCs
bornavirus
Oh no. Sorry to hear that. Glad your bird is okay, and that a collar helps somewhat.
My bird tested negative for bornavirus. There might still be something internal going on, but because we can't give her a full blood workup, I just have to work with what I've got.

Most Reactions