Green Cheek Conure suddenly has orange spot around eye

GreatFishes

Mar 4, 2024
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure
Hello everyone,
This morning I noticed a weird orange/yellow spot on the skin near my 10-year-old green cheek conure's left eye. It's only on one side, and I don't think it was there yesterday.
I brought this up with my mom and she isn't that concerned over it, but I myself am worried if it could be anything from an infection to a sign of disease.
My bird hasn't shown any signs of abnormal behavior as of late (besides being very clingy with me, though that I think is caused by me, having moved out, am not around as much anymore and he misses me), and his diet has been the exact same as it always has (dried fruit and nuts, and Higgins Safflower Gold seeds). He has plenty of toys, so it could be that some dye rubbed off on him? I'm not certain.
It also seems like the feathers are thinning around this spot, but I don't know if that's because of the spot. I tried gently using my finger and some water to see if I could wash it off if it was a stain, but it didn't come off at all. He also seems to have a little bit of faint pink on his nostril on the same side, as seen in the photos I've attached.
Is this something I should be worried about? I'm being put in charge of taking care of him for the next week and I would like to know if I should schedule a visit with our vet (who I don't know if they can help us). My mom says I'm being a hypochondriac about this and it's no big deal, but my bird has never been sick before so I'm not sure if this is a warning sign, irritation, or a mishap with dye.
I've attached four images: his eye, a close up, a top-down view, and his "normal" side for comparison. Sorry if the pictures are low quality, he does not stay still for the camera. Any help or advice is welcome, thank you!
IMG_1084.jpeg

IMG_1086.jpeg

IMG_1087.jpeg
IMG_1088.jpeg

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
It does look a bit irritated to me. Possibly early sign of an infection? If you are able to get him into an avian vet I think it’s worth getting that spot checked out. Maybe it’s nothing, but birds are so good at hiding illness that sometimes we only get little warnings like this to let us know that something is wrong. Hope your boy is ok ❤️.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Those are great pictures.
I wish I had a great answer but best advice is above.
an avian vet is needed for a diagnosis, wether a bruise or an infection.

Most Reactions

Latest posts