Communicating With Your Bird

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Darcy (Golden-Collared Macaw), Puck (Caique - RIP)
How do you communicate with your bird(s)? I'd like hear how other people do it!

------

I've noticed that even though Puck doesn't speak much human language, he understands me a lot and is able to communicate effectively for the most part. I try to listen to him as much as I can, and he definitely seems to appreciate it. I also bleed much less than I did at first. LOL.

I'm learning his body language. There are the obvious ones, like if he walks/runs away, he doesn't want physical interaction at the moment. Sometimes he wants to be close, but doesn't want to step up.

Of course, there is "demon mode" which I mentioned in a post a few days ago. He hunches over, eyes get all crazy, all feathers puff up, back feathers look sort of like spikes, moves slowly like stalking prey, and he tries to lure me over with cute noises so he can bite me. Took me a few times to figure that one out. LOL! :16:

When he excited to see somebody, he'll do serieses (plural of series, not sure how to plural a plural) of head bobs, beak gently open, and has a little chirp/squeak that goes with it. At first I was worried that it was a dominant behavior, but it appears to just be an excited behavior.

I've observed that when he is going to try to mate with me, first he starts nibbling very gently, and will usually put one leg up on me. :eek: When I realize he's going to try, I try to distract him, or just stop playing for a little bit. He is persistent though. He does this behavior with my boyfriend and me. lol.

He has lots of vocalizations he does too.

He has an "annoyed sound", and I'm not sure what to call it, but he does it in varying degrees, sometimes with his head feathers puffed up. :mad:

He has his ALARM call, which he does if he thinks there is too much distance between us (luckily he doesn't do this very often now). He also does it if there is possible danger, like somebody flying a remote controlled airplane, or if a ceiling fan has been turned on. Today he did this call when he saw a ceiling fan on a TV show!

When he's happy with something, such as going to his cage, or being fed when he's hungry, he will either make a purring sound, or a few kisses, or both.

When I kiss him on the beak, he often makes a kissing sound (or several) at the same time! It's SO CUTE! :10:

I think he understands me pretty well too. He definitely knows when I want him to go in his cage, but sometimes he doesn't agree with me. If he's disagreeing with me about where he should be, all I have to do is show him a towel, and he will listen to me! Usually all I have to do is communicate with words and body language, and perhaps treats.

This is all I can think of at the moment. I love my baby soooooo much!!

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
i watch for all feather positioning with the nut, the feathers don't lie and are the best way for me to read if she is being sneaky, cos we all know our birds can indicate one thing but really mean another!!

her biting an aggressive behaviour took some time to settle, she still is with my son, though it is his fault as he teases her

oh an i love the purring sounds, or the happy/excited squeals

Bright Star

May 28, 2011
Colorado
Parrots
Keats (budgie) born Feb. 18, 2011, and Raphael (budgie) adopted July 3, 2011. Finn, a Brown-Head Poicephalus, born January 4, 2010, has also joined the family!
Body language says so much. Barbara Heidenreich has a video on body language in parrots that I watch regularly to be sure I'm not missing anything. With Finn, I'm learning his body language, and he's exhibiting more and more of it every day. He's also speaking a lot - meowing, saying Hi, asking It's good?, whistling. He has his alarm call, his contact call, his yeah bring me my breakfast call - actually that's the 'I know you're using the microwave call' ;). I've learned the I'm Going to Sit on Your Leg signs when he's out of the cage, as well as the Just Let Me Be signs.

I'm sure I have much more to learn, but he'll teach me. It is me that's doing the learning, after all. He knows what he means ;)

kitt

Mar 27, 2011
Michigan
Parrots
Ava(peach faced lovebird) and my very first bird
Leroy (black headed caique) my little moody bird
Dusty (hahns macaw) my clown
When Leroy goes into his "lucifer" mode and fluffs up his feathers he also fluffs out his thigh feathers....I giggle and tell him his thighs look fat...LOL

I wonder if the annoyed sound you mentioned is that "Meep" sound...I find my caique only does it when he is annoyed and I leave him be when he acts like this.

OP
Remy

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Darcy (Golden-Collared Macaw), Puck (Caique - RIP)
The annoyed sound doesn't sound like a Meep to me... I don't think I can imitate it with written word, lol.

Most Reactions