Concerned about GCC loneliness

AbbyJ

Apr 20, 2017
Parrots
1 Green cheek conure, Marcus
2 Cockatiels, Alice and Theodore
My husband and I have had Marcus, our gcc, for about 2 years now. Marcus was used to a lot of individual time out with us and a fair amount of time out with our 2 cockatiels (he loves them, they tolerate him). A couple months ago I had a baby, and Marcus has not gotten nearly the time we used to give him. We are absolutely unwilling to rehome him - we love him so much and are hoping that as we learn to juggle our baby with our birds things will improve. His behavior is pretty good, although he's starting biting a little. I'm just concerned that he's lonely. His cage is a few feet from the cockatiels and he spends all day watching them. We do sit in the same room with them all every evening and most mornings for a bit, and they get a lot of time out on the weekends. Is that enough for him? I know you should never get a bird so another bird has a friend, but would it help to have another gcc in our home (when we have a little more time) so that at least they can watch each other and talk to each other? We have the space and an extra cage, but I don't want to bring another bird home and not have enough time for them either. I feel just terrible about neglecting him, even if it's short term, and I want to make sure I'm doing everything possible to keep him happy and healthy. Any thoughts/advice welcome.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I don't know enough about conures to give advice leading to a second bird for companionship. The nipping is most likely an outgrowth of jealousy and a reduction in time spent. If there is any way you can give him a bit of personal time during the week, that may be sufficient for the short term.

LeaKP

Aug 11, 2014
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Congo African Grey
Please don't feel guilty. Life ebbs and flows like this and I believe your GCC will adjust.
It sounds like you're all working through it. There's no guarantee that your gcc would tolerate another addition to the flock. Only get another bird if you want the bird as your companion. If they get along that's a plus. Keep on keeping on is my suggestion and as you all have gotten into your new rhythm I bet all will settle.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Congratulations,Mommy!

I'll tell you my story... not sure where it fits with yours, but maybe it might have a point of interest or two...

I got the Rickeybird in 1984. I was in college and then grad school, so I spent LOTS of time with him. Then it was time to go to work!
There were were years (about 25 of them) when 5-6 days a week, I was gone at 7:30-ish and back at 6-ish.
Some did and will consider me wrong and think I should have re-homed him.
Anyway, here is what I think made it work.
I moved and got new jobs maybe 5 times or so. BUT...
Every morning, he had at least ten minutes, and every evening, he had 20 or so. I have always kept him on a natural light schedule, in a separate room, so sometimes those times together were in the dark. During the day, he had a big window looking out on something interesting, a television on one of his favorite channels (Music channels, CNN - he loves talking heads), a biggg cage, lots of fun foods, and a few toys that I changed out regularly).
He KNEW he could count on those two crummy sessions a day, when he was the ccomplete center of my world. Somehow we both made it.
I'm now retired and times are good again.
Welcome to the Forum... you'll get lots of empathy and advice here.

OP
A

AbbyJ

Apr 20, 2017
Parrots
1 Green cheek conure, Marcus
2 Cockatiels, Alice and Theodore
Thanks so much, that's very comforting! Both last night and this morning we set aside 15 minutes for Marcus while the baby slept, and it is already helping! We're going to look at more ways we can give him attention but even after just a little bit of time he was more like his old self.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Thanks so much, that's very comforting! Both last night and this morning we set aside 15 minutes for Marcus while the baby slept, and it is already helping! We're going to look at more ways we can give him attention but even after just a little bit of time he was more like his old self.

Wonderful update! Keep in mind quality of time is as or more meaningful than quantity. Five minutes of being in the same room is not nearly as engaging as physical contact, or even sitting on your shoulder!

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Parrots are very resilient and can handle/adopt to changes more than we know.
In the almost 30 years that Amy has been with me,our life has had many changes,up's and down's. From me being on the road for 5 days out of the week ( I was a Big Rig driver) to my brother,and mom passing,and Smokey flying off to Rainbow Bridge..Jonesy coming...then leaving...the Beebs coming into the picture..Amy has survived.
There were times that I got very concerned over her well-being.
She got depressed when mom and tommy passed ( they were both here,while I was bouncing up and down the highway) and when Smokes flew on..she didn't talk,or play,or even WANT to come out of her house,and that depressed ME even more!

But...I spent quality time with her,as often as I could,even if it was just 30 minutes a day. She survived..she is a fighter. Her birdonality didn't change. She may even be more lovey to me now.

Your GCC will come through too...don't give up!

I think I'm going to take Amy for a ride in a few minutes,to her fav place..the ALLPETS store,to go see her bestest buds...the Green Armed Bee Bee's! :D

Jim

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
I'm glad things are getting better, and if you keep trying to increase your time spent with Marcus as much as you can he should be okay in the short term. Keeping him in the same room as one of you are as much as possible will help tremendously, maybe get him a large play stand or play gym so that he can be out of his cage more often, be occupied, and just be near you and in the same room as you but still out of his cage while you're doing things with the baby could help him a lot. You have to remember that Green Cheek Conures are known as "Velcro Birds" for a reason, and whenever they go from their person or people giving them constant attention and direct interaction to being locked in their cages most of the time, this drastic difference in routine and affection can induce dramatic behavioral issues. Just keep doing your best to spend as much time as you can with him, talk to him as much as you can, and find new and different ways to include him in what's going on in the home and family.

Getting another Green Cheek for Marcus is definitely not the answer because there is no telling what the outcome will be. They could absolutely hate each other and need to be separated all the time, in which case you'd have two Green Cheeks that would be unhappy, and you'd only be adding another source of jealousy for Marcus. They could simply tolerate each other and in that case the end result is exactly the same as if they hated each other. Or they could bond very closely with each other, which would solve Marcus's problem but would create a problem for you, as typically when two birds bond closely they have no need for their people anymore and Marcus would no longer be bonded with you at all. So you would lose Marcus. And there's absolutely no way to know which outcome you'd get until after you bought the new bird and put it together with Marcus for a good amount of time, and by then it's too late, you'd have two birds and more issues.

Just keep making a strong effort to include Marcus in your newly structured lives and family, he'll adjust as long as you keep him in the loop.

"Dance like nobody's watching..."

Most Reactions

Latest posts