Concerns of 6 week old AG

madasahatter

Jan 26, 2024
Parrots
CAG - 6 weeks
IRN - 9 months
I have had birds for over 20 years. Of those I have only hand fed 2 and never any issues. Both birds walked and played and honked like baby birds do. But I acquired a baby African Grey yesterday. He/she is 6 weeks old today (or so I was told). I see all these other posts that their baby is in a small cage with some toys or are trying to play and eat by themselves. Mine however does not. He peeps and peeps all the time. Does not walk much and is wobbly even when standing when I feed him. Eats like a pig and is pooping wonderfully. But thatā€™s it. He seems to have no interest in trying to get out of his bucket. Always peeps for more food even after heā€™s been fed and his crop is full. Is this normal? He was the smallest hatchling of the 3 I was told and did see one other sibling when I went to get him and he was a bit bigger. Mine was hatched last. He is in a small clear tote with pine shavings and a small stuffed animal. (Thatā€™s what I brought him home in) I have a much bigger tote for him at home (we are at an air bnb right now while our home is tented) I didnā€™t think a cage was appropriate yet and seeing how he wobbles was why but other posts make me wonder if heā€™s behind? Any help or info is greatly appreciated!

GambotheGreyt

Feb 8, 2024
Parrots
Currently.. congo african grey
W
I have had birds for over 20 years. Of those I have only hand fed 2 and never any issues. Both birds walked and played and honked like baby birds do. But I acquired a baby African Grey yesterday. He/she is 6 weeks old today (or so I was told). I see all these other posts that their baby is in a small cage with some toys or are trying to play and eat by themselves. Mine however does not. He peeps and peeps all the time. Does not walk much and is wobbly even when standing when I feed him. Eats like a pig and is pooping wonderfully. But thatā€™s it. He seems to have no interest in trying to get out of his bucket. Always peeps for more food even after heā€™s been fed and his crop is full. Is this normal? He was the smallest hatchling of the 3 I was told and did see one other sibling when I went to get him and he was a bit bigger. Mine was hatched last. He is in a small clear tote with pine shavings and a small stuffed animal. (Thatā€™s what I brought him home in) I have a much bigger tote for him at home (we are at an air bnb right now while our home is tented) I didnā€™t think a cage was appropriate yet and seeing how he wobbles was why but other posts make me wonder if heā€™s behind? Any help or info is greatly appreciated!
Wow, i see that you did not receive any replies. At this point clearly the emergency has resolved itself. Did everything work out alright? Is your baby banded? Did you clarify his hatch date? How is he doing now?

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
As you likely realize now, every bird is, well, it's own bird. An individual, and each develops at its own pace and rate. With his/her own personality and traits. Just like people!

Most Reactions

Latest posts