AvianAdrian

Mar 19, 2020
Australia
Parrots
Mustached Parrot and a Yellow Sided Conure.
Hey guys! May be a long post but please read the full post before responding.

So the problem: My conure, since coming home, has had problems with my roommates. It's almost always hands but he occasionally bites faces.

This is a behaviour he rarely displays towards me, but I've explicitly discouraged any hormonal behaviour and he displays no particular behaviour hormonal towards me (presenting, regurgitating, ect)

On top of this, he gives no warning. I've had a friend over who is very confident with birds and has equal experience as I do yet was shocked when he went straight for blood when presented with a finger, latching on and giving no body language before hand.

My roommates and friend do not yell or give him much of a response but it has appeared to do nothing to discourage the behaviour. I've tried removing him from the room when misbehaving but it similarly did nothing to discourage it.

He does happily stuggling into my roommates necks and enjoy their company but he's simply more unpredictable and they still can't make him step up (something I do with ease)

My hypothesis: When he was a baby he got basic hand raising but afterwards wasn't given much handling. I show particular confidence with him due to having very difficult aggressive birds in the past and I think he has perhaps learnt that biting me doesnt get me to avoid him at all.

Could he have not learnt beak strength and very good human socialization? How do I fix this?

Bonus cute photos attached because you deserve it:

Attachments

• 20230326_183939.jpg
    20230326_183939.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 20230206_104108.jpg
    20230206_104108.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 4
Honestly it’s likely even simpler: he’s a one person bird. It’s VERY common for most birds to prefer a single human, to the exclusion of others. “Exclusion” can be a spectrum, from enjoying others but still always coming home to you, to being outright aggressive to anyone who isn’t you.

Biting, whether intentional or not, just over preening your skin or actually taking chunks of meat out - all are PAINFULL! In the wild that sort of behavior is not tolerated by the flock. They ostracize flock members who continue to act like that. We call it 'Shunning'. This WILL work, but needs to be done correctly to get the message across and it needs to be done IMMEDIATELY so the parrot can associate the bite with the shunning action. And it needs to happen every time and with anyone involved with the parrot.

When the bite or over preening occurs:

• Say in a forceful but not shouting voice "No Bite" or other endearments.
  • Immediately place the parrot on a nearby, handy chairback. NOT the cage (that would only teach the parrot to bite when he wants to go back to his cage).
  • Turn your back to him and ignore him for 1 minute. No peeking, no talking about or too him, NADA. NO eye contact. No less or the message is lost, no more or the bird will not associate the action with the bite.
  • After a minute you can try to re-establish contact.
Rinse, repeat as needed. Most parrots get the message after a few times, some may need more. Also very important - make sure the bite is not your fault. Annoying your parrot, asking him to step up when he is otherwise preoccupied with eating or playing, bothering him during known moody times like mating season, or ignoring the warnings and body language of your parrot - these are bites that you deserve! Learn, and be a better parront !!

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back