Congo Grey Plucking Help Needed

GeoFish

Feb 5, 2014
I need some expert help please.

We have a 10 year old Grey that has had an ongoing problem with plucking.
Been to about 6 different vets, used collars, drugs, installed full spectrum lighting, humidifiers and have changed his diet.
Eliminated water with chlorine. Put Aloe Vera juice in his drinking water and tried everything we could. We even sprayed him with Aloe and water several times a day.
But nothing seemed to work. But I always thought that he had dry skin because of the amount of white powder you would get on you after you handled him.

Now we are trying Feather in by Avitech along with Featheriffic.
We are also using Pluck No More by Kings Cages.
Started to see some results, at first our bird seemed to love the spraying of Feather in and the rinsing after. After spraying, he would make some noises, sounded like a series of short Errrrrs or Purrrrs. This series would go on for about an hour or so.
I took this as a sign he was content. Feathers are starting to grow back and he has stopped plucking.
I phoned Avitech and asked if it was OK to spray the bird on the head and in the face and eyes with this product. I was assured that it was OK, it only contains ground up oats.
Then after about four weeks, he started to scream a little when he would see the spray bottle. Acted like he did not want to be sprayed. After being sprayed and rinsed, the short Errrrs & Purrrs turned into longer Errrrs, that almost sounded like a babe crying. This noise would last a hour or so after spraying. And then late at night, I will hear him making these noises.

I re-contacted Avitech and they assured me it is OK to spray him in the face and eyes.
We are going to remove the Pluck No More for a few days to see how he reacts.
We will not spray him in the face with the Feather in and see if this improves his reaction.

Any ideas or thoughts?

Thanks
GeoFish

Zumaria

Sep 30, 2013
Chicago, IL
Parrots
Congo African Grey: Jenga
I would never spray my bird in the face / eye area directly, even if it is "safe". That doesn't mean it's not scary or traumatizing. A very fine mist sprayed upward at an angle so that it falls like rain is as close as I would get to the face. Better safe than sorry!

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
Sorry to here about your plucking grey :( Plucking is a hard habit to break, my galah Rosie has mostly stopped plucking, she only pulls a feather here and there as she's molting.

Whats his diet? has he been tested for any infections? Bacterial infections, liver, disease, and other ailments can cause a bird to pluck. I highly recommend getting a at minimum gram stain, but highly recommend other test to make sure everything is fine. A avian vet is best, as they'll know the signs to look for.

Have you ever tried the product Rain? it's excellent and sooths skin.

angelkaymac

Feb 25, 2014
Hi my name is Kay , I have a African Congo grey, he had a plucking problem, I bought a vitamin called ecotrition you put 3 to 6 drops on his seed he eats every day , it will help his skin and plumage, also I found out that baby gee and greys like him stress over to much noise about him also they like being out of their cage, keep giving the vitamins , and you will start seeing a big difference in about a week or so. hopenthis helps you. kay

Most Reactions

Latest posts