Congo vs Timneh

BillsBirds

Jan 9, 2012
Largo, Florida
Parrots
Timneh African Grey (Bailey), Lovebird (Elvis)
I read a very interesting article, by Jane Hallander, on The Grey Play Round Table, about the difference between CAGs & TAGs. It stated that they are mostly the same, but, brought out an interesting fact about weaning & identity. She feels that Timnehs mature earlier than Congos. And since we wean them both at same time, and send them to new homes at that time, this explains that CAGs are becoming flock members before they would in the wild. Her research indicates that wild CAGs, after leaving the nest, get a "nanny" to show them how to be flock members, about predators, etc. Whereas TAGs do not. That explains why CAGs will often switch bonds from one caregiver to another member of it's new flock. It sees the first as it's "nanny', and when mature, picks another flock member as a mate. And, TAGs generally do not. I found that interesting. Does anyone here think this is valid?

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
That is really interesting. I read something recently that Congo's stay near their parents for at least a year, not being fed, but watching their parents and flock mates to learn how to survive and find food.

Most Reactions