Considering Adding a new cockatiel

Karyns

Jul 26, 2012
Levittown PA
Parrots
Lutino cockatiel and soon a baby Green Cheek Conure
Hello.....
My daughter purchased her first bird, a cockatiel a couple of months ago. He is about 6 months old now and an absolute sweetheart. Very friendly and very social! I am seriously considering getting a cockatiel of my own but housing it with hers as we just purchased a beautiful large cage for him so there's plenty of room. I've been getting mixed responses from people at the bird store, vet techs etc. as to whether it would be ok to introduce a young cockatiel to our current young cockatiel and was hoping for some more insight. I've had people tell me they have several cockatiels housed together and they are still friendly and social yet I've had others say that if I introduce another one than my daughter's will not be as friendly/social. I would love another one but do not want to do anything that would affect the personality of her bird and I really don't want 2 cages...I'm limited on space.:yellow1:

BirdSquawk

Aug 21, 2012
Parrots
Jack- 5 year old pacific parrotlet
It really depends on your birds personality. It sounds like the cockatiel you already have would be very accomidating and nice to other birds, so the only other thing to keep in mind is to make sure the second bird you get is sweet and kind. How big is your cage? The minimum size for a twosome of cockatiels is 24 by 24 inches.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Cockatiels usual get along well with each other. That said, a male and female will want little to do with you,and your likely to have little tiels running around. Two males ? not the best match,but could work out. Two hens would be my choice . I always tell people, when adding another bird ,get it for yourself and not as a companion for your fid. You never really know how the two will get along. Imprinting and bonding with humans can really screw your fid up when it comes to other bird relationships. Tiels and budgies,IMO handle this better than most other common parrot species.

sswardah

Sep 4, 2012
I'hv own a cockatiel , i had the second one after only a couple of month of the first, and they still so nice, never fight with each other , so loving , so tame n friendly. So i can say that you wont have any problem if you wanted to buy another bird.
(Sorry about my bad english)

Most Reactions