Conure acting different after feather clipping. Normal?

kimbell

Nov 17, 2015
Austin, Texas
Parrots
Pico - yellow sided GCC
I took my green cheek conure, Pico, in to get partially flighted last week. Without getting too lengthy in this post, it was just the best course of action for us right now given a few different factors. Pico was clipped as a baby but hasn’t been clipped since his first molt after the fact 5 years ago.

After his clipping last week he isn’t playing or wreaking havoc like he used to, is extremely quiet, and doesn’t really seek me out anymore. I already felt awful about clipping him but now I feel even worse. Anyone have any words of comfort or input about their own experiences?

To add: he has no signs of sickness. It’s just like he lost his spunk.. prefers to nap over playing now. Doesn’t like to look out of the window anymore (his favorite pastime) , etc... it’s breaking my heart

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Birds don't like having their feathers clipped in most cases. A picture might help as well, as the severity of the clip can have an impact on their reaction in some cases. It's a big deal for them, which is why it is a decision that has to be considered carefully--- if it is a matter of safety, then you have to consider the pros/cons of clipped vs unclipped (and whether training could prevent the need for a clip)...Your bird is probably scared and a bit traumatized by the experience, but you can rebuild that trust if you take it slow. Just understand that it isn't a little thing to them if they aren't used to it. It can make them feel vulnerable and scared etc because they can't get around like they did before (flying is safety in many bird's minds--- and if they had that ability and it is suddenly removed, that is a big deal to many).

Some people are 100% anti-clipping. I think that it should be a last resort, but it can certainly save lives, depending on the issues that prompted you to seek a clip. It definitely shouldn't be done for convenience or anything like that though (in my opinion). Lots of people have really strong opinions on this issue, but I get why it is sometimes a matter of safety.

I would just say, put yourself in your bird's "shoes" ---I don't know your reason for clipping, and your bird doesn't either (even if you believed it was for the best, your bird was likely toweled etc and that is scary). Just give it time and remember that it's not something to take lightly (but can also be protective when done properly and only after having exhausted alternatives) Hopefully the cut was done properly to the point that he still can glide down. An extreme cut (or 1 wing cut) can be painful and dangerous in a bird used to having functional wings.

Last edited:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Its a traumatic experience to be held by strangers.

So work on building trust, bribe with hand fed treats many times a day. Rebuild his trust in you.

A parrot that has flown for five years and now can't is going to have confidence issues. Has he attempted flight and fallen? Try and build up his confidence. Brag on him

Most Reactions