Conure and cockatiels together

Soupspoon1223

Mar 3, 2024
Parrots
None currently but have owned a cherry headed conure and a sun conure.
I believe I've settled on getting a GCC baby this spring and my husband just loves cockatiels. He was wondering if we got them both as babies could we put them in the same cage together right from the beginning. I've seen some people have been able to keep them in the same cage and others say to keep them separate. Would we only be able to put birds together from the same species like conure and conure only and cockatiel and cockatiel only?

Thanks for your suggestions.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
BOTH are known to be a little more agressive on the scale but raised together as babies I think it could work out. The biggest thing might be the sex of each bird. A cockatiel gets a little bit bigger (longer) but gccs tend to be more aggresive even challenging much bigger birds.

If someone donated a cockatiel because they couldn't take care of it, I think I would take it on. But I'd maybe not house together at first. But my birds are now adults.

As babies they tend to be nicer, but that changes later.

I'm not against.

OP
S

Soupspoon1223

Mar 3, 2024
Parrots
None currently but have owned a cherry headed conure and a sun conure.
BOTH are known to be a little more agressive on the scale but raised together as babies I think it could work out. The biggest thing might be the sex of each bird. A cockatiel gets a little bit bigger (longer) but gccs tend to be more aggresive even challenging much bigger birds.

If someone donated a cockatiel because they couldn't take care of it, I think I would take it on. But I'd maybe not house together at first. But my birds are now adults.

As babies they tend to be nicer, but that changes later.

I'm not against.
Thank you. I'm just weighing some future options. My husband loves cockatiels but I'm a conure fan. I figured we could maybe have both one day, but separate cages might be better in the long run.

Most Reactions