Conure attacks everyone but me

Mm6393

Jun 25, 2017
Ann Arbor, MI
Parrots
Sun Conure
GCC
4 beautiful budgies
Hello. I have a new two-year-old sun conure named Mary. She is extremely friendly however she's not really that friendly with new people. She loves me and she only loves my sister besides me. So my niece was over today, which she's over Almost every single day. So I took Mary out of her cage, and she seemed extremely happy at first she even decided to fly to me. At this point, I told Mary that it was safe for her to step up so she did. So when she's on my finger I put her on my nieces shoulder. Mary still seemed very calm at this point, however she then later began to attack her fingers nipping extremely hard. I tried to take Mary off of her shoulders however she started to bite me too. So I guess my question is why was Mary behaving this way. It was not like she gave any warning signs that she did not want to be on her shoulder. In fact she's the one who wanted to be on her shoulder. I also don't know if this is important but my niece is nine years old while I'm 24 so she's a lot younger than I am. Is there any training that I could do so that Mary can get used to my knees and not attack her when she tries to play with her. Thank you.

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Neotropical Pigeon - "Skittles" (born 3/29/10)
Cockatiel - "Peaches" (1995-2015) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
This is a tough one. It would help to know more about her previous owner and what her life was like prior.

I'd gladly offer some advice, but I'd "prefer" to know more about her history before advising you.

That being said, I will offer some thoughts that do apply to ALL suns, who wish to have a less possessive sun.

It's VERY important that Mary be properly "socialized" with everyone she is likely to come into contact with on a regular basis. She will still choose one person to be her "flockmate" as she will see them as flock members.

OP
M

Mm6393

Jun 25, 2017
Ann Arbor, MI
Parrots
Sun Conure
GCC
4 beautiful budgies
Her previous owners were a male and female along with their 10 year old daughter. They kept her in her cage almost all day. She wasn't really socialized but she didn't attack anyone. When I adopted her, about 5 months ago, she seemed to favor her cage. But she never attacked anyone either. Once I began training her, she favored me and my younger sister. But now it seems that ANYONE else she hates. But specifically kids. She will fly right up to them as if she likes them and then proceed to bite them. It's very confusing to me. But she's perfectly ok with me

Sunnyclover

Jan 11, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Sun Conure - Ollie- Hatched 08/18/16*

Nanday Conure -Finley- Hatched 10/07/17*

Turquoise Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure -Paris- Hatched 03/03/18*

Black Capped Conure -North- Hatched 10/10/18
My Ollie (also a sun conure) was pretty well socialized since he was 3 months old when we got him. We used to be able to put him on just about anyone's should and he'd give them kisses. However, when he turned a year old he suddenly decided he was only going to accept me, my husband and my babysitter as his flock mates and attack anyone and everyone else who steps foot in the house. We've tried to fix it but no luck so far. We even clipped him for a different reason but as a result he can no longer do an aerial attack but doesn't pass up the chance to attack if someone gets too close to him if he's on his cage or my should. He has his beak open and ready for passerbys if they pass me in the kitchen or living room. Lol. Sometimes there is really nothing you can do... I've accepted it and I think it's not a big deal. Just put Mary in the cage when people come over and she can't behave.

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
Okay, that's good to know.

First off, kudos to you for bringing her into your home. Sunnies are not the kind of bird you can keep caged all day everyday. While no bird should be caged all the time, some species are more 'adaptable' to that sort of scenario (canaries, finches and budgies for example) if their cage is appropriate size for the situation. Sunnies are not like that. They are VERY social and they DO require daily interaction. It can be something like letting her out when you are doing chores (safely) or working on the computer or watching tv. etc.

But, lets get to your particular situation. I don't think its without reason. I think its probably one of two things. #1 I do know mating season is upon us and she is likely to be much more possessive during this time. This is actually a time where you don't want to overdo it with affection or contact so you don't send the wrong signal.

The second reason could be that something has changed or has happened that has changed her thoughts on that particular situation. There is also a chance its just a mood thing. Birds have mood changes too. There are times when Skittles is fine around certain things and other times he's nasty around (even though it never moved or changed).

IF I were to hazard a guess, I'd say its because of mating season. When it comes to mating and breeding, I have ZERO experience so I'll leave that to others. But I really think thats what it is.

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
My Ollie (also a sun conure) was pretty well socialized since he was 3 months old when we got him. We used to be able to put him on just about anyone's should and he'd give them kisses. However, when he turned a year old he suddenly decided he was only going to accept me, my husband and my babysitter as his flock mates and attack anyone and everyone else who steps foot in the house. We've tried to fix it but no luck so far. We even clipped him for a different reason but as a result he can no longer do an aerial attack but doesn't pass up the chance to attack if someone gets too close to him if he's on his cage or my should. He has his beak open and ready for passerbys if they pass me in the kitchen or living room. Lol. Sometimes there is really nothing you can do... I've accepted it and I think it's not a big deal. Just put Mary in the cage when people come over and she can't behave.

I've had similar experiences with Skittles. He was a little over a year old when I bought him from the local pet store (that gets all their birds from local breeders). He had been to three different stores. The clerks at this particular store interact with the animals on a regular basis which I love.
Skittles was completely tamed when I got him. He was taught to make "kissy noises" and was also potty trained so he is free-flighted as a result. Some people become so afraid of being bit that it actually gives the birds the signal to bite. They "sense" the fear and react as a result. Thats why its so important to NOT react when getting bitten. Thats not to say you should just let them do it, a firm "no bite" and redirection are very effective methods. If it still persists, cage for timeout.

I rarely have company so when people come over I just put him in his cage and cover him up until they are gone (no one is ever here for more than half an hour, not even that. I don't like people in my house. So its only my neighbor or landlord that stop buy). But my situation is 'unique'. It wasn't always like this too. When I first got him, he was fine and I was having company (medical reasons) for about five hours, three days a week. Both my workers loved birds so it was easy. One even had a cockatiel.

Once it became just him and I, he became much less socialized. I can't work, so moving for a job does not apply. I don't travel (I would if I didn't have Skittles) and as for friends/relationships- they'd have to accept that Skittles will ALWAYS come first, thats just how it is. I put him even before myself.

I suppose one of the reasons I do that is out of guilt. I made a LOT of mistakes with birds I've had in the past. I've had dozens of birds over the years, and I regret that I didn't know then what I know now. Some of it was ignorance and some of it was just stupidity. I'll leave it at that. Being bipolar, I went through so many times not caring if I lived or died and as a result made horrible decisions. Now, all I worry about is dying before Skittles and him being alone. I can't hurt myself now that I have him and I pursue things to improve my health instead.

Last edited:
OP
M

Mm6393

Jun 25, 2017
Ann Arbor, MI
Parrots
Sun Conure
GCC
4 beautiful budgies
Well that leads me to my other question. She does this thing when we cuddle where she'll be fine one second and then all of a sudden she will put her head down and stick her tail up and start hissing at me. I have no idea what she wants. Now after your reply, I think it's because it is mating season haha. So how long will this last and what do I do when she behaves this way?

Sunnyclover

Jan 11, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots

Distract her or if she won't stop put her in her cage for a while to take a breather. It's definitely her trying to mate with you! Do not encourage this because it does lead to aggressive behavior that can even turn towards you if she gets frustrated enough ATM it sounds like she's only aggressive to others. It can also cause excessive egg laying which is dangerous for a female. Also only pet the head and feet, anywhere else is sexual stimulation for a bird.

Last edited:

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
@OP

I do think its the mating season causing the problems you have. Mating season and molting season are both things that can cause drastic changes in parrot behavior but usually subside once they are over.

For example, you may have a bird that LOVES to be held and cuddled (like Skittles) and then suddenly they won't let you touch them. If that occurs during molting its because their feathers are VERY tender as they are just growing in so its sort of like trying to hug someone with broken ribs. Its not pleasant for the receiver.

While during mating season, they will become much more protective and likely try to be more affectionate with their chosen human than normal and react negatively to anyone else. Like sunnyclover said, mating behavior should NOT be encouraged.

Now lets just assume it isn't due to mating season (for arguments sake). I would try having your niece go near Mary while she's caged (Mary, not your niece LOL). Have her talk quietly, sweetly to Mary and once Mary responds positively for several interactions maybe try having your niece give her a treat. I'd also suggest your niece not make any loud or sudden moves around Mary as that can instill fear in Mary and cause her to act out toward the noisemaker.

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
Not sure how long the mating season lasts. Every bird that I've owned and known the DOB of were born in March. So it could be a while. IF she happens to start laying eggs, then you will have a whole new problem to deal with. IF she does, you do NOT want to remove the eggs. She will eventually realize they are unfertile and will cast them aside away from her and wont sit on them. Once she does this, you can remove them. If you remove them prior, she'll just keep laying them.

Sunnyclover

Jan 11, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots

I'm so glad my two are boys because egg laying scares the s@%# out of me. Do you know she is actually a girl?

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
I hadn't even thought to ask that!

If she's been DNA tested, then a certificate should have been given along with the sunny. I had Skittles DNA tested and was so relieved to find that he is a male!

I had so many egg-laying issues with Peaches. I HATE having to deal with egg-laying when you are not in the breeding business.

The OP should get confirmation on gender. Unless she lays eggs, you can't assume.

Male and female sunnies are identical in appearance and the behavioral traits are pretty universal.

DNA is your best route. It's not that expensive tbh. Some people have even used 'home test' kits BUT I have no knowledge of their accuracy. I had my vet DNA test Skittles and they sent it to a lab in California.

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.

I've pretty much done the same with Skittles. One of my closest friends will often say "man, you can't do anything with him around!" when I tell her I have to wait til after Skitty goes to bed to clean or cook certain things or if I need to do something that requires my 100% attention. I can do plenty of things when he is up and out.

I think a lot of "non-bird" people don't realize that having a companion parrot is much like having a toddler. They are a LOT more work than most people think. I mean any of the sacrifices I have made for Skittles are things people would do for their children so I don't see the difference.

I honestly could not love Skittles any more than I do if he were actually a human child. I mean sunnies are so much cuter than babies and kids anyways. Granted, I am NOT a kid person. I'm a bird person.

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
@OP

If the behavior continues past mating season (or other behaviors occur that question whether that is the cause) do check back in with us!

DoubleTake

May 31, 2017
South Orange County, California
Parrots
2 Sun Conures.

R.I.P Lily 3/1/2018 - You were my sweet baby.
I've pretty much done the same with Skittles. One of my closest friends will often say "man, you can't do anything with him around!" when I tell her I have to wait til after Skitty goes to bed to clean or cook certain things or if I need to do something that requires my 100% attention. I can do plenty of things when he is up and out.

I am glad my guys can keep themselves busy while I clean and do other chores. When I am all done they just all come running under the blanket with me. They still are very needy children though, they never stop wanting to eat... bunch of fatties.

Most Reactions

Latest posts