Conure beak quesiton

ADEMIKS

Oct 11, 2012
Hello everyone,
I have a green-cheeked conure and he is a year and a half old. His beak seems to be growing an under layer which protrudes a bit from the main beak. Also, I'm noticing that the edges of his beak are becoming more jagged over time. He has a cuttle bone in the cage which I replace regularly, but I'm wondering if he needs a harder substitute, like rocks or hard mineral blocks?

Recently I sanded away the edges of the tip of his beak so that I was one smooth surface, but it protruded back out in less than a week. Have a look at the picture and let me know if his beak looks normal for his age, and if he needs any special beak care.

20140212_135930.jpg

20140212_140024.jpg

P.S. He loves to make these loud poping/crackling noises when ever he engages in some activity--whats that mean? That he is excited?

Frumpydumple

Apr 21, 2013
Durham, UK.
Parrots
My birds: Skyler/Sky, violet Indian Ringneck. Mother's birds: Norman, African Grey and Mildred, Blue Crowned Conure.
The noises could be normal, or they could indicate an infection. His beak looks perfectly normal and it is just shedding layers.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
The beak does appear a little overgrown to me... makes me wonder if he beak grinds a lot?

Kinny

Jul 26, 2013
Media
South Australia
Parrots
1 male Cockatiel
I agree with MonicaMc, certainly looks a bit overgrown. Perhaps one of those harder calcium perches would do the trick?

Most Reactions